• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Holy heating bill!

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
In the hose I live in 100 gals of #2 fuel oil heats the house for three weeks the stuff is about $3.14 a gallon right now. And thats with the most efficient oil boiler we could get two years ago. I believe the efficiency rating is 92% 37 single pane windows in a 101 year old house isn't kind to the wallet even though it has been insulated. Good windows are also a ridiculous amount of money. The windows would need have to be custom made and the way that they are laid out the walls would practically have to be reconstructed to fit a stock size window in. 500 bucks a pop plus installation is quite a big chunk of change. thats 18,500 just for the windows.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We got a couple of those oil filled electric radiators. We have a good sized living room with vaulted ceilings. They keep it warm.We have a fireplace but is is not very efficient. Keeps the living room hot but the rest of the house is ice cold. I keep an eye on the thermostat and make sure nobody raises it. I need one that requires a code or something.

DesertStorm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93 and 94
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My wood stove burns 24/7 from Nov. to April. When I first moved into my house i had the $300 heating bill blues. Got me a Craftstove freestanding for $100 used. Ran some double wall stove pipe and now I have free heat galore. Gas bill now $5-$15. Keep t-stat at 65 the house stays around 74-80. I get a little hot on warmer nights but thats ok. Getting the firewood is fun too. Playing in the mud to get back in the woods and watching BIG trees fall. I love it.

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 3 bedroom 2 bath , and also a wife that fucks with the thermostat .
My bill last month , was 147.00 , temps were not real cold .
This next month I suspect about the same price .
I do like having Electric everything , and a heat pump.
Looks like a house built here with the geothermal set up is a bit more than where others live .
Probably because this is the biggest Nazi state in the nation as far as politics are concerned , but it is just such a beautiful place geografficly

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when I lived in washington we had the cheapest electric in the nation. family budget plan was 80$ a month all year long.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
my heating bill for november is $66.06,dang i love the south.went down a lot just converting to tankless water heater.of course we haven't seen real cold weather yet.last year highest bill was around $120.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Dave, my electric bill displays KWH (kilowatt hours) used. Would the 225KW be 225KWH?

My bill doesn't show the rate, but dividing my last kilowatt hours used and bill amount due, it looked like it was around $0.12 per kilowatt hour.

If that's right, does that meen the heater is going to up my bill by $27 for using the 225KW's?
Correct on both counts. Though your bill probably won't rise quite that much. Generally there are other fees and misc charges, not related to the amount of power used, on the bill. So dividing the total bill by the usage usually will show a higher per KWH rate.

Snowplow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
This is exactly why I have an electric heat pump in my house. People thought we were nuts for not switching to gas about 10 years ago when the gas company offered to do a free tie in. I knew the merits of having the heat pump thats why I stuck with it. They only require electricity, unlike a furnace that uses a fuel along with electrical, so thats one thing thats nice.

Our house is about 6000sq ft (thats including my finished basement) and my electric bills are about $400 a month all winter. Thats for my heat, my stove, TVs PCs, the home theater, dryer, everything. Can't beat that with a stick in todays world.

Jim, look into a PTHP (Packaged Terminal Heat Pump) for your place. You can shove it into a window like a window AC, they don't cost a ton (700-2000 depending on size) and will use less power then a electric heater.

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
Have any of you that use #2 fuel oil to heat their house think about making biodiesel from waste vegtable oil? It cost less the $1.00 a gallon to make and most places will just give you the oil. Some of you that live in the colder climates might want to look into it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
heat pump

Yea depending where you are normally propane and oil are the most expensive ways to heat. I install HVAC we install trane equiptment but any high effeciency heat pump all electric would probably save money in the long run they are not cheap tho. Just putting in a good energy setback t-stat and keeping the temp the same day and night say 68 degrees and open all the vents in the house. we set our stats to run 3 cycles per hour and only the outside walls are insulated so when the heat turns off it goes through the walls to the colder rooms and furnace cycles faster longer just a couple things to try

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
...bringing back the dead! Check the post date.....

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you do searches like you are supposed to, these posts show up. They aren't closed so I wouldn't try to shame people out of posting in them. Nothing on this entire site is exacty cutting edge technology.

That said, it's appropriate to post the official crypt opening photo:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
My bad....fingers before thought sometimes....

In an effort to lower heating bills, I had a digital thermostat installed that lowers the room temp by 10* in the daytime when no ones home.....so far I'm averaging $15-20 a month less so it should be paid off in time for next winter!

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I just dont use a heater...........

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Holy crap. We keep our house at 68* and the gas bill is still sky high! Welcome to Canadian winters...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals