• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Holley terminator self learning efi kit

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
anyone here consider putting a kit like this on there 6? Tom morano racing has a carb manifold that you can buy as well to mount it too

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Not worth it from my experience. A microsquirt will get you much further for far less money.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wouldn't the new "carb" manifold flow better than the oem though? I thought the intakes were restricted on the 2.9l? Plus its self tuning and suports boost and nitrous in the higher trims. Just trying to get ideas. I'd have to learn tuning to swap to megasquirt and its not a plug and play system either. Just bouncing ideas hear by the way

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
So, my megasquirt tunes for the 2.9 are posted in the tech forum. Saves you the time and frustration.

The holley system is NOT perfect - it maps the same way that the MS system does, just at 4x the cost. And it gets the engine "close enough," not "dialed in."

There are two main styles of upper, and three main varities of lower intake for the 2.9 - the twin throttle body and single throttle body uppers, and the standard and reinforced Ranger lower, and then the Merkur/Euro lower.

The TTB upper flows about 13% better than a fully ported Ranger upper. As far as performance goes, there is no comparison between the two, the TTB one is just better in every sense of the word "better." Better throttle response, better flow, cooler temps, etc, etc. Look for one off a Merkur, or cruise eBay UK or DE to find a complete one for under $100. I have three of them for a reason haha.

Best bet is to look for a MS DIYPNP 1.5 for Ford 60 pin. Or, a microsquirt, and make your own adapter harness. There is also a tuning shop out by Philly that carries a microsquirt and prefab harness for around $435 all in.

Carbs and TBI are a step backwards from MFI. Neither work as well, neither are precise by any stretch of the imagination, and neither are a cost effective option.

For best results, re-wire your injectors to fire for sequential fuel injection with the MS.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals