• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hockey Pucks

Nothing94

Reaction score
So, hypothetically, how would one go about lifting a 2wd 94 ranger with hockey pucks? I do not know if the previous owner screwed around with the stock suspension, but I have coil springs in the front and leaf springs in the rear. (I can only assume that that is stock.)

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that is stock, and lifting with hockey pucks is a HORRIBLE idea. A much better bet would be 4wd explorer coils or lift/levelling coils...

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A hockey puck lift works in place of Proper Well ENGINEERED and TESTED and SAFE body lift blocks.

A lot of people here will discourage it, others will discourage it adamantly.

I'll say this.

They DO work. They ARE cheap, Easy, and if done right can hold up to a LOT of abuse.

I dont recommend that you do it. But I'd do it in my OWN truck where I was responsible for it.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Being from the north where Hockey is played out doors, I gotta ask this... have you ever noticed how a hockey puck, when subjected to a load across the flat face, will SNAP in sub zero temperatures? I'm thinking that would be reason number one for NOT using pucks for a body lift. Honestly, the cost of a PROPER body lift isn't all that terrible. Hell, they even include all necessary hardware and brackets for bumpers etc! And the bonus is, it was PROPERLY engineered for your vehicle.

SuperRob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, where I grew up it doesnt get cold enough to screw up a puck. And it gets down to about -20 or so. I only say this because I've done it. And the only issue we ever had was that over a few years they would start to break down just like a body bushing.

For most people (especially since most people on here are Americano's) they dont see the temperature that you do in Winnipeg.

And like I said. I'd do it on MY truck, but wouldnt recommend it for someone else. Like most fabricating things such a s home built drop brackets and stuff....I KNOW its good enough for my truck and what my truck has to deal with on a regular basis, but I wont install home built brackets on someone elses ride.

Kapiche?

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not going to touch this one.....:rolleyes:

06yellowranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hmmm, I'm relativley new to trucks and lifting, but I'm just guessing here that using hockey pucks may not be your best option, I would just take a guess and say that using a kit that is designed for your truck may be you best bet

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I'll expand upon my previous statement: It's always better to use a spring to replace a spring for different desired heights. If you want it taller, find one with a similar rate that is a certain amount longer to give you the desired compressed height.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All we can do here is advise. People will do what they want to do. My two cents have been thrown in and the rest is up to the recipient. Good luck....and if you do use hockey pucks... GOD'S SPEED!

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nothing94, I don't think your post was too clear.

Hockey pucks for a body lift, I don't see why that would be a BAD idea. I would rather get a real lift or use something a little more durable than pucks, but that is just me.

As for using pucks for a suspension lift, I would have to say that is a VERY BAD idea. Say you put them under the front coils, they would maybe commpress (never held/ felt a hockey puck) and as they compress, the nut holding the coil in no longer has any pressure holding it tight onto the bolt. Therefor, it may come a little looser every time it compresses. If that made any sense...
And I don't see how you could use pucks to lift the rear end. How ever it could be done, I don't think it would be safe, same with the front.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
If its for a body lift, just get a real body lift. Its like $100 i think, which you could find a few jobs and get that much, and then you have everything you need, you know its safe, you know its done right. That would be the safest and easiest way to go.

motocross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
how often do you see a puck brake ? im a goalie on a AAA team in ontario iv seen the weather as cold as -40 and on out door rinks the only pucks iv seen brake are the little orange canadian tire pucks. i think 3 pucks drilled with a piece of tubbing down the middle would be way stronger then the performance acesories body lift i have in my ranger, but just the mody bolts alone are worth $20 so it the end you probably wont save much money inless you go to a oout door rink and find old pucks ..

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Ah, the good old puck debate.

First I must say that this debate is always full of people saying things they have heard re saying them as fact having no experience in real life. I will state I have real world experience.

Puck are made of vulcanized rubber, much the same as what all tires are made of. When used as a body lift they are loaded in compression, by the force exerted from the mounting hardware. A preload force we could say. Also from the weight of the body, static and impulsive due to trail and or street driving.

Under compressive loading pucks can take higher loads then most would think, much more then a body weighs. And this is for one puck while everyone knows a body is supported by more then one body mount. I have done some compressive testing but am nowhere close to completing the test results and full write up I have been wanting to do for some time on this debate.

To the weathering side of the debate. I have run pucks on my BII for 6 years in MI. That means salt, warm, cold and so on. I recently rebuilt my BII by redoing the suspension and putting a Ranger can on my BII frame. The cab I got had shot body mounts. So I used the old body lift pucks that where under my BII body as body mounts under my Ranger cab. These pucks had been run for 6 years and had very little signs if at any signs of deformation. The later years of this 6 year run period they had been subject to sub zero wheelin. So this put impulsive loading on the puck from –10 to –40 degree days and nights, No wind chill. These temps are from da U.P. of MI. They are still doing great under the Ranger cab and know they will still do so for many year to come.

I have been intending on a full write up on compressive loading and weathering effects on pucks preformed at Michigan Technological University by myself, four year M.E. student with help from a few material science friends to finally put this debate to rest with hard facts and not hearsay. I have been promising this for a year now and haven’t gotten it done, but damnit I will get it done.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Todd,

I'm not real interested in the laboratory test results. I'd be more interested in seeing results from a fatigue test in varying environmental conditions. If we are going to put it to rest, it might as well be in realistic conditions, wouldn't you say?

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I intend on doing fatigue tests as well as many other things. Although the fatigue results will be mostly theoretical values obtained from calculations using material property constants.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals