• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Highway stalling

Therigwelder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
My 93 ranger 2.3 has developed an intermittent stalling issue at Highway speeds,this is my daily driver that I drive 200 miles a day. No problem firing up and runs good.i drive the first 40 miles of my journey with no problems and the truck is well warmed up. I get up on the highway and occasionally it will stall at 55-60 miles an hour, After I get to the side of the road at a complete stop the truck starts right up.Ive tried popping the clutch while the truck is rolling but it will not fire I must come to a complete stop.its happened 3 times so far and I drive to far from home to have an undependable truck.any ideas what is causing this problem? Damn near Everything in the truck is new.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
How you describe it to a tech often decides if the repair will be successful. Stalling happens at idle, if it dies while driving we would say it cuts out or quits. If you have a tach, next time it quits look and see if the rpms are still reading. If the revs drop to zero while the engine is still turning it means the ignition stopped firing. Being a 93, my first suspicion would be a TFI module failure. If you replace it I'd use a Motorcraft part not a parts store generic piece. It might pay to check all the connectors to make sure they're tight and not corroded before replacing anything.

Therigwelder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got it hooked up to my snap on this morning even though I don’t currently have the CEL lit up.KOER it shows an 11 code, everything is good. However with KOEO i have a group of stores codes that I am sure are related to each other.452,222,218,157. The coil packs,cps,ICM have all been replaced recently.the 452 may not be related to the other codes,that’s the rear sensor and shouldn’t have anything to do with engine performance.

Therigwelder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have been working on the ranger today and desperately need it to run right my backup truck went down too. The codes I am concerned about are the 218 and 222 I believe these to be the ones causing the stalling issue.from what I’ve been able to gather these codes are ICM issues. The ICM, coils and CPS have been replaced with new about 4 months ago.I do know the icm’s are notorious for going bad.the ICM tests good but that doesn’t really mean anything.I need to figure this out badly

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Always good to post the code definitions you are using with the codes

Also good to look up codes on a full list so you can see the codes the computer DID NOT USE, they can tell you as much as the codes it did use
List here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/3digitcodes.shtml

218 (M) IDM signal open or high or left coil pack failure - Ignition Systems
222 (M) IDM open or high or right coil pack failure - Ignition Systems

Its possible the ICM is overheating at high demand, but tests OK when cold
Did you use a heat sink grease on the back of it when installing the new one on the intake, that helps it stay cooler

The computer doesn't have a "running out of gas" code, no fuel pressure sensor
At highway speeds fuel demand is high, so a partially clogged fuel filter or "sock" in the tank may limit fuel flow so engine just "runs out of gas"
But assume new fuel filter?

1994 ICM wiring here, 1993 is the same

Attachments

Therigwelder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes,filter is good. I pulled the coil connectors off one at a time and the rpm dropped slightly almost unoticable on the intake coil.dropped substantially on the exhaust side. While I had the connector off I had no spare coming from the wire towers. Once I had the connectors back on all 8 towers were producing good hot fire.in my mind I think that says the ICM is cutting out intermittent,when it’s well warmed up.the truck dies just like I turned the key off. No stumble,shake backfire. Bam just off

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And did you use grease on the ICM when it was installed?

Yes, the 2.3l or 2.5l Limas ran on 4 spark plugs from 1974 to 1988, and unplugging one coil pack tests if the 4 spark plugs on the working coil pack are OK, no misfires

The dual spark plugs are strictly for performance, so you should lose power/RPMs with only 4 working spark plugs
Not sure why one set of plugs would cause more of a drop in RPMs, are you sure it wasn't a misfire on one of those 4 spark plugs?

Pflames

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Transmission
Automatic
Check the wiring harness for the switch that cuts the fuel pump in case of an accident. I just had the same exact thing happen to me. The insulation was worn and cracked, causing intermittent shut offs.
Good Luck

Therigwelder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Problem solved:apparently the ICM was losing ground when these codes set.I took the ICM off the truck, drilled and tapped the 4th hole that ford didn’t supply I then applied heat sink paste on the ICM and bolted it back in place. I have found these ICM’s can cause all kind of crazy issues.I drove the truck 200 miles today and it didn’t kill.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work (y)

Thanks for posting the FIX

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals