• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Higher Mileage Ranger's

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Depending on what he is doing it probably won't change a whole lot. A Ranger is rated about the same.

20+ mpg on my '16 F-150 is pretty easy.

If I wanted to only get 18mpg I just run E85 (which I have been doing at $2.99/gal)
That's pretty impressive mileage for E85. I have run it a few times in my service truck at work (2010 Silverado 1500) and I can't break single digits, empty, in warm weather.... ran it once in the winter and averaged 7mpg. Usually I'm right around 12-13 on E10.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's pretty impressive mileage for E85. I have run it a few times in my service truck at work (2010 Silverado 1500) and I can't break single digits, empty, in warm weather.... ran it once in the winter and averaged 7mpg. Usually I'm right around 12-13 on E10.
Day to day average is 14 which is about what my '02 got on E10 doing the same thing.

I am on my third tank so far, I haven't tried it in the cold.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Basically what we are seeing on these EcoBoost engines (of any size) is that with proper oil changes and correct oil, once you get past 150k there is risk of turbo failure. With not enough oil changes or not proper oil, that risk starts before you get to 100k. Generally, if you are paying attention you will see evidence of the turbo issue before it explodes - burning oil in certain situations (different depending on which seal is going bad) or occasionally oil and coolant mixing - so that you can catch it and replace/rebuild the turbos before you suck turbo bits into the engine. Once you get past the turbo replacement (assuming quality replacement turbos) you should be good to 300k+.
Assuming you work for a Ford dealer. I mean what is list on a turbo? I work for Deere and I can get a VGT for a 13.5L for $3-4k I would guess a turbo for these(also assuming oil actuated VGT..?) Is $1000 maybe 1500?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Thats what I wouldn’t like about a turbo engine, we had 2 oliver tractors once, one a 1650 na and a 1855 turbo, both diesels. The 1855 pulled great butyou had to keep close tabs on the rpms in heavy groundwork, drop below 1500 rpm and it could quickly stall, above 1500 it worked well, thirsty though! the slightly smaller non-turbo oliver had better low end I felt. Two or three times dad had to replace the turbo, it was a gutless dog when the turbo would fail, I think it was $900 and only rebuilt was available. (that tractor was a 1976) The non-turbo oliver was more responsive on throttle as well, it had a hydraulic underdrive , the bigger oliver had the over/under. Miss those machines. The 1650 is still local, was sold to someone 3 miles away, the 1855 went to a collector who did a complete rebuild and takes it to shows.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Assuming you work for a Ford dealer. I mean what is list on a turbo? I work for Deere and I can get a VGT for a 13.5L for $3-4k I would guess a turbo for these(also assuming oil actuated VGT..?) Is $1000 maybe 1500?
The price varies with engine due to different sizes of turbos, the Ranger turbo is around $1000. And of course you need a couple lines and some seals, etc. so figure $1500+ if you do it yourself. The issue now (like many things) is parts availability.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Do most dealers play pretty well with claiming warranty stuff. IE you find dampness and around turbo for oil seal leakage at 95k truck has 100 PTE they replace under warranty?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That depends entirely on which warranty company the contract is with. Ford is generally pretty decent in that area as long as there are not obvious signs of abuse on the vehicle, but many of the other companies will try very hard to find a reason to decline the coverage.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Theres already aftermarket options out there, by the time you need to replace your turbo there will definitely be MORE options.. usually aftermarket turbos are a bit cheaper than OE units, and as long as you buy from a reputable company the new snail wouldn't have any troubles making it another 100k+.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals