• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High rpm flutter/miss

benhojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6-351w someday
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 83 ranger I recently did the duras park swap on. Put in Holley 2 barrel have had no problems since I sorted out electrical. Now the truck is running fine but when the engine gets warm and I get the rpm's up it develops like a flutter or miss exhaust is a little to loud to tell but def something wrong. Also pours out smoke while this flutter is happening. I was thinking maybe valve springs are shot, gonna pull covers this weekend and inspect. But you guys have any ideas or experience with this? Truck does have 240000 miles too....:icon_confused:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like blow by and maybe a rebuild is in order. That alot of miles for those engines, nut saying they can't do it though.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Is your choke fully open puffing black smoke is allways too rich on the fuel mix. Do you know what size jets are in the carb. To check for a blockage in the exhaust hold your hand about six inches from the tailpipe and have someone step on the gas the pressure should increase with engine rpms. I had a similar problem the muffeler was full of cat material, take the palm of your hand and slap the muffeler and see if there is alot of crap ratteling around in there. If the exhaust has restriction the engine will load up with fuel sniff the dipstick?

benhojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6-351w someday
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it could be blow by, but this has started in like the last 1000 miles I don't think it would wear out that quickly and get that much worse? Running size 56 jets, destined them from the 61's that came with the carb.. Choke is fully open and I'm going to check the muffler after work later. It is fairly new but idk. Hopefully that's the easy fix...

BichoBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
56 might be too big, im running 43

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
56 is to big.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals