• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hi, my name is...

Braap34

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, finally just joined. Have lurked here for some time. My reason for joining today is to find some info on an idea of mine. I haven't seen anyone do this before on any of the forums, but I know I can't be the first to think of/ attempt to do this.

I want to put Dana 44s from a half ton Dodge Ram under my 93. It's a 4.0 5 speed 4x4. It's my daily driver. Would like to be able to daily and also get down on some tight trail/crawler type wheeling. I have a lifted obs 7.3 and a 3/4 ton ram both on 40s, so not really looking to build another bogger. Really considered just buying the rough country or the tuff country kit and spending an afternoon lifting it. But what's the fun in using a cookie cutter lift? Plus I feel like I will have a far superior machine if I can make it work.

I'm looking for any insight on doing this. I just purchased a complete 98 1500 just a couple hours ago for a doner. havent looked at either truck too hard. So far in my head I feel like removing the ranger bucket off the frame and replacing it with the factory ram bucket. I'm sure I'll have to make plates to space them off the frame, ago have no idea on measurements between the two.

My biggest concern is making the driveshafts work. Any insight would be very appreciated. I really went back and forth between a ram or a Jeep (Dana 30) for a doner. I felt like if I'm going to go through the trouble to SAS it, I might as well go forward instead of backwards as far as axles are concerned. Again I can't be the first guy to think of this. I just can't find anything at all on this perticular swap. Thanks all

Braap34

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just nodiced I posted this in the wrong section.. is there a way I can move it? Or delete it? Guess I'm already "that" guy

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
D35 (what you have now) isn't far off in strength to a D44 FWIW.

James Duff makes a SAS kit for a Ranger.

Most SAS guys go for older Ford D44's, not sure why and what will carry over. If you go into the "tech section" I think there are a few articles on SAS.

If it was me I would make the axle fit the truck rather than make the truck fit the axle.

Welcome to TRS :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals