• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HHO gas conversion

BrianS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well as soon as I clicked to submit that last post I realized something.........If this is corroding stainless steel this fast.....what is it doing to the engines that people are using this stuff in? My honest opinion is that until this huge "problem" is addressed, people should take these things off of their vehicles or turn them off and wait for a solution to the corrosion. They may work for 5k or 10k or even all the way 100k miles, we don't know, but we do know that is causes so much corrosion that in a few hours of operation is turns the fluid orange/red from rusting stainless steel.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It's called selective etching.

Stainless steel is "stainless" because it contains chromium and the oxide layer of the chromium protects the metal.

That all goes out the window when an electric current is applies and the steel (still 80% of the material) starts to oxidize.

what makes it worse is that Nickel is usually added to the alloy to reduce brittleness than that is very easily etched out.

would you happen to know what specific grade of stainless you have?
(I may think your test is doomed to failure but I don't want you to
blame the failure on a materials issue)

this is why in many specialized chemical processes "higher" grades
of non-magnetic stainless steel are used.
your container is most likely 304L but might be 316L

In corrosive containment 321 or 343

In specialized applications stainless materials are used, but they aren't steel...

Something called Hastelloy is used, Basically Hastelloy is stainless steel
but Cobalt has been substituted for the iron... (It's more complicated
than that in detail, but...)

AD

BrianS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well the testing that I did really just proved how corrosive hydrogen is and I don't think anyone would want to put this into their engine if they knew this. I "could" use better materials to keep it from rusting...but, I'd also have to make the entire intake and exhaust system from it as well....and that just not cost effective and the manufacture of these exotic metals would more than likely effect the environment. It's just not a way to save gas in my honest opinion. Oh and I'm not sure which type of stainless I used but it was not magnetic, I knew that much about selecting stainless. It would have been nice if it did work....but with the corrosion that I saw....or hey maybe after a few people start having engine trouble we could get some spare parts! I am needing a few things lol.

philzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Almost 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hydrogen is NOT an energy source.

And Ethanol is an even bigger scam.

because you are paying for it even if you don't use it
(Between subsidies and higher food prices) and if you do use
it you are paying even more... and that ignores the long term
effects of soil depletion from growing corn.

AD
oh and i little fun fact !: ) To develop the land to grow crops that produce Ethanol, will produce more emissions than just leaving the land alone letting people produce emissions from burning gas instead of ethanol . soooo ethanol ultimately pollutes more, :dntknw:

reno

Reaction score
Well the testing that I did really just proved how corrosive hydrogen is and I don't think anyone would want to put this into their engine if they knew this. I "could" use better materials to keep it from rusting...but, I'd also have to make the entire intake and exhaust system from it as well....and that just not cost effective and the manufacture of these exotic metals would more than likely effect the environment. It's just not a way to save gas in my honest opinion. Oh and I'm not sure which type of stainless I used but it was not magnetic, I knew that much about selecting stainless. It would have been nice if it did work....but with the corrosion that I saw....or hey maybe after a few people start having engine trouble we could get some spare parts! I am needing a few things lol.
Thank you, these are the types of reports I have been waiting for. Whether it be pro or con. I would imagine that the corrosion would do something internally to the engine, then again, is the corrosion only happening in the generator tank? Remember you are after the gasses. Would corrosion actually break down and become a destuctive gas? If so how?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's not the hydrogen that's corrosive. It's the oxygen, especially with the electric current.

Yooper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well as soon as I clicked to submit that last post I realized something.........If this is corroding stainless steel this fast.....what is it doing to the engines that people are using this stuff in? My honest opinion is that until this huge "problem" is addressed, people should take these things off of their vehicles or turn them off and wait for a solution to the corrosion. They may work for 5k or 10k or even all the way 100k miles, we don't know, but we do know that is causes so much corrosion that in a few hours of operation is turns the fluid orange/red from rusting stainless steel.
What kind of salt are you using? The guy at the link below says you have to use either sodium hydroxide (NaOH) or potassium hydroxide (KOH), and definitely NOT sodium chloride (NaCl) or baking soda to specifically avoid the corrosion problem. He is also running distilled water.

Also, I saw this guy's videos on youtube where he took apart one of his generators after running it for a couple thousand miles and his plates were just about perfect. He was using stainless steel electrical box covers which I can't imagine are a real high grade of stainless.

I am kind of looking into playing around with this and am interested in any and all results you come up with.

http://www.smacksboosters.110mb.com/

Yooper

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The corrosion problem is a bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Sure, it's a problem, but it's very minor compared to the problem that you can't possibly make more energy than you use with an output that is the same as the input (except it's hotter, so you must have used up energy to make it that way).

BrianS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Do you realize that it takes 10 gallons of hydrogen to make enough btu's thats in one gallon of gas?! So lets see here.......1 gallon will get my 20 miles.....so one gallon of hydrogen will get me 2 miles (rounded off). So at 60mph I'm using three gallons of gas an hour.....so that means 30 gallons of hydrogen an hour!!!! Ok....now check out what these people are saying....."huge hydrogen generator thats makes 1-2lph" Litter per hour.....Thats not even putting a dent in the fuel consumption.... just do a google search for "Alternator Electrolysis" that video should explain in great detail why this is a HUGE HOAX! You can run your car on hydrogen if you ude a large enough tank and it's a great idea......but it takes so much hydrogen to make this work even in the smallest way....btw if you want a way around the corrosion.....use graphite rods! Waste your money like I did, I didn't expect this to work and it didn't, it's snake oil people just like the guy above said.:bsflag:

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I have got 3 units built and have 2 set up and running in shop still trying to get the amperes where I want them been running the 2 unit now for 2 hours amperes is at 17-------Going to turn it off -start it back up in the morning and check and see how hot it gets-1-hour and so on.:icon_bounceblue:

Last edited:

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I have been running one off-and on 30 hours in the shop water is clear-
NO RUST PLATES--- LOOK NEW--------so can't figure out what you running in yours.

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
4 more miles to the gallon that's what my unit is doing-------I think that great for something that people said would not work.I said I had to build it to see for myself -----I DID----IT WORKS ----SO -that's all I wanted to let everyone know------

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
4 more miles to the gallon that's what my unit is doing-------I think that great for something that people said would not work.I said I had to build it to see for myself -----I DID----IT WORKS ----SO -that's all I wanted to let everyone know------

Let everyone know what? That you got 4 more miles to the gallon on something? What's the vehicle? Original mileage? Other work done along with this kit? Tune up? Carb rebuilt? Recent maintenance?

thoughtcriminal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 (until it breaks anyway)
Transmission
Manual
i wish people would try a forum search, or a google search, or even apply basic knowledge of natural laws before just pushing the new thread button and asking the same bleeding question again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals