• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HHO gas conversion

riot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
has anyone done one yet? what kind of results did you get?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not again... there have been a few threads on this. It's a scam. You can't come out ahead on the energy balance unless you are carrying compressed hydrogen and oxygen around with you that were filled from an energy source outside of your vehicle.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hydrogen is NOT an energy source.

It is a means of energy STORAGE.

Seperating hydrogen from Oxygen in water takes a great deal of energy.
More than you'll get out of it when you re-burn the hydrogen.

That energy MUST come from somewhere.

TANSTAAFL!
(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

ALL of the alternative fuel schemes are Scams because they ignore the trade off that must be made to accomodate the alternative. AND they usually ignore the conversion cost.

The term of art I like to use is "False economy"

It's like trading in your 25mpg Taurus (that's already paid for)
to finance a $35000 Prius to save $2000 worth of gasoline a year.

And that is only the tip of the iceberg, what about the energy that went
into making the Prius? what about the heavy metals contamination generated by simply Mining the nickel that was required to make the batteries (leave alone the discussion about the pollution from REFINING the nickel)

And only NOW is Honda FINALLY making a prius that you can plug into your house

DUH!!!

The only way out of the energy bottleneck we are in is Nuclear energy
yet the Greenies and the NIMBY's (Not In My Back Yard) won't let us
take that route.

The liberals keep saying Drilling ANWR and Outer continental shelf oil
won't reduce the price of fuel at the pump.
I say NOT drilling will allow the prices to continue to increase.

Greater US crude production won't solve anything without building
new refineries because our exsisting refineries are running near
capacity and a great percentage of our energy is imported already
refined.

And Ethanol is an even bigger scam.

because you are paying for it even if you don't use it
(Between subsidies and higher food prices) and if you do use
it you are paying even more... and that ignores the long term
effects of soil depletion from growing corn.

AD

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
yeah, what he said........

BrianS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going for it.

I'm very skeptical as well and I'm not pushing everyone to try it. I'm putting a kit together myself and I will post results. I'm not one of those people that posts a video of it "working" and then wants to sell someone a kit or instructions. I am doing this detailed as well....to settle this for once. From what I understand you produce HHO gas (Brown's gas) and inject/pump it into the vehicle's intake tract and then in combination you lean out/ or lower the amount of fuel and the HHO will take up the slack. Mythbusters said you couldn't do it from a kit...but they actually did the experiment wrong...but they did prove a car would run from tanked hydrogen, and run well it did. There are a few dangers of this, one of which is in the Mythbusters video (backfire) so they do recommend a system like a bubbler to arrest any flame/spark from going back into the generator. And again like I said to everyone on this forum, I don't know if this works or if it does not, I'm just here to learn and I'm very skeptical about this and I really don't expect it to work. The reasons I'm even trying this is because of a youtube.com video where a man runs a 92 5.0l f-150 from nothing but a HHO generator....or so he says and fro the video it looks like it is. Just no flames, hope I get some support.

Thanks
Brian

BrianS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
http://hopecell.com/concept.html

This site is basically (from what I gather) pushing a HHO generator and explains how it works. After reading it, they say breaking H2O into the HHO gas is a cold fusion reaction...so now I'm doubting it even more. Just read for yourself.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
There is ALWAYS energy input to split water into it's components.

EITHER the Electrical input of straight electrolysis
OR energy input into mining and highly refining a comsumable catalyst
(that must be periodically replaced)

the trivial ammount of hydrogen that can be produced by a system
of either type that would fit in a small container is a waste of effort.

IF the production cell were the size of a 275gallon oil tank
(that incidentially fills a 6' ranger bed) MIGHT produce enough
hydrogen to do something useful... but let me point out you'd
also be lugging around 2200lbs of WATER, which would probably
have an adverse effect on your mileage.

frankly I think a small carefully shielded isotope reactor
used to boil water could power a triple expansion steam
power plant and power your truck down the road.

but most people would object to the lead underwear that drivers
and passengers would be required to wear to avoid having FLK's

AD

BrianS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Have you actually tried this? I mean I haven't tried it so I'm not going to say it works or doesn't, I'm just wondering where your pony came into this race?

In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total amount of energy in any isolated system remains constant but cannot be recreated, although it may change forms, e.g. friction turns kinetic energy into thermal energy. In thermodynamics, the first law of thermodynamics is a statement of the conservation of energy for thermodynamic systems, and is the more encompassing version of the conservation of energy. In short, the law of conservation of energy states that energy can not be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.
We are really just trying to make that energy in the water available for use.
So how is this any different from the way our fuel called gasoline works? I'm sure our vehicles wouldn't run off of straight petroleum just like they won't run off straight water.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well that's impossible!!!! LMAO

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Have you actually tried this? I mean I haven't tried it so I'm not going to say it works or doesn't, I'm just wondering where your pony came into this race?

In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total amount of energy in any isolated system remains constant but cannot be recreated, although it may change forms, e.g. friction turns kinetic energy into thermal energy. In thermodynamics, the first law of thermodynamics is a statement of the conservation of energy for thermodynamic systems, and is the more encompassing version of the conservation of energy. In short, the law of conservation of energy states that energy can not be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.
We are really just trying to make that energy in the water available for use.
So how is this any different from the way our fuel called gasoline works? I'm sure our vehicles wouldn't run off of straight petroleum just like they won't run off straight water.
Yeah, it's called Conservation of energy... Blaa, Blaa, Blaa

Yes Conservation of energy applies, HOWEVER this does not mean, Imply or even "suggest" that the energy input to the system goes WHERE you want it to....

REALITY is that the only "closed" system is the entire universe.
Most of the energy is lost as heat at various points in the system.

This is the difference between "theoritical concept" and "Realistic outcome"

There is a guy on Explorer forum who gets 30+MPG with an 4.0SOHC trying to test it right now:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217491
Then there's a guy on the explorer forum that is so full of shit that we should harness him for the methane, that's solve the energy crisis!

Theory is the girl you meet in a bar that really seems to like you and takes you to bed.
Reality is finding out she was a pro that a friend paid for as a birthday present.

And in the end all you got was fukt.

Yes you can get a kit and install it on your truck and "Test it",
but reality is that your time could be more productively spent
giving your cat a bath to find out if there is some method you
can use to avoid having your face ripped off

you don't need to test one of those hydrogen generators
to KNOW they don't work, "proving" it is a waste of time except for being able to shut up all the dilusional dreamers.

If you need to test it then you shouldn't be suggesting that I have a lack of objectivity as demonstrated by my negative comments, rather that you are going into the experiment with excessive optimism and that you are HOPING that it'll work.

If you hire a religeous fanatic to "prove" god exsists you are wasting your time.
Ditto if you hire an atheist to prove god doesen't exsist.

But if you hire both of them AND an agnostic and theym all reach the same conclusion you might have something... What I have no idea, but I'd be testing the water they were drinking for lithium compounds.... :)

Are you one of those people that has to test to see if having
a pineapple shoved up your ass hurts before you recommend
against others trying it?
If you are I'll be scientifically minded and volunteer to supply the pineapple.... :)

AD

Last edited:

BrianS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just another complete moron that thinks they know it all.

Here is the thing, if it doesn't work in the least bit and the person that installs this thing gets better mileage simply because after it's put on they change their driving habits, i.e. the placebo effect.....the outcome is the same. Better mileage is all we are after and I'm sure we could all tell theories to each other all day long about why you have homosexual fantasies about pineapples but we simply don't give a rip. Yeah yeah we know you think this is total garbage, as much as I'd like this to work, I really don't think it does and if by some chance is does if by only 1 or 2mpg that probably means that subconsciously I changed my driving habits. I understand all this. If you don't believe in this I don't care, because I'm in the same boat with you, but we don't want to hear it anymore. We get the point and if you don't like it stop reading this post. You don't see turbo people in the forums hounding the hell out of the supercharger people just because one picked another method of doing the same thing. :hottubfun: So take the energy required to read this and repost about how stupid we are and use it on your girl so she maybe won't think you like men and pineapples like everyone else thats read your post is thinking right now.:bye:

BrianS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok now back to the subject of this post. I've actually started building two of these generators. Found out that when electrolysis takes place in the generator, the anode (+) is where the Oxygen comes from and the cathode (-) is where the Hydrogen comes from. The reason I'm making two is because I wanted a smaller one to go into my Bmw 325i. The bigger one is actually huge by most HHO standards. I used 3"od sch 40 pvc with 2' length. The original parts that I bought at lowes that were supposed to be stainless steel in fact rusted after just 3 hours of testing. So I'm having to rebuild the smaller one, I'm also using an old transmission cooler and pump to keep the fluid cool.

BrianS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok.....seems like we have a strike against hydrogen. The non-magnetic stainless steel parts I just bought are starting to rust after only 30 minutes to an hour of the actual generator running. Has anyone ever tried building one from aluminum? So here is an explanation of what happened

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=104

Even though the stainless parts I bought did not react to a strong magnet they still did contain steel or iron or whatever that is causing this problem. I'm either going to redo the whole thing with aluminum or start looking for high-grade stainless. A caution for people who use salt to do this......salt in these generators WILL cause chlorine gas to be formed, I work with chlorine almost ever day and chlorine is VERY corrosive to almost anything. I can't imagine this stuff rusting more than it already has. So I'm starting to think this can't be done without a very expensive metal or maybe if this could beto took out of the equation altogether. Any ideas besides telling me to stop?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Just another complete moron that thinks they know it all.

Here is the thing, if it doesn't work in the least bit and the person that installs this thing gets better mileage simply because after it's put on they change their driving habits, i.e. the placebo effect.....the outcome is the same. Better mileage is all we are after and I'm sure we could all tell theories to each other all day long about why you have homosexual fantasies about pineapples but we simply don't give a rip. Yeah yeah we know you think this is total garbage, as much as I'd like this to work, I really don't think it does and if by some chance is does if by only 1 or 2mpg that probably means that subconsciously I changed my driving habits. I understand all this. If you don't believe in this I don't care, because I'm in the same boat with you, but we don't want to hear it anymore. We get the point and if you don't like it stop reading this post. You don't see turbo people in the forums hounding the hell out of the supercharger people just because one picked another method of doing the same thing. :hottubfun: So take the energy required to read this and repost about how stupid we are and use it on your girl so she maybe won't think you like men and pineapples like everyone else thats read your post is thinking right now.:bye:
Homoerotic? No Scatalogical Certainly.

I don't "need" to have some placebo device to make me change my driving habits for Economy, if you do mabey someone should drop a cylinder head on your right foot so you simply press less hard on the skinny pedal.

Though in my personal case when I'm trying to get mileage my right thumb is more important... Cruise control!

Bye? Oh I should lay awake at night dreaming that you and the other
"True believers" would just GO AWAY... I don't care where either.
Infact I don't care if you go away mad, provided you do actually go
I doubt anyone else will care either.

As for the pineapple... Never seen "Little Nicky" have you?

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals