• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hey-Smitty5882 here-Burnaby,Canada.1995 Ford Ranger XL 2wd 2.3l,Manual,long bed.

Smitty5882

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I am selling my truck but no buyers interested yet.$2200 canadian/$1700? US. Probably because I am honest,and advertised my trucks problem with high idle while downshifting,and a steering wheel float problem.so it looks like I have to solve this problem myself.So far,we determined that the TPS (Throttle positioning Sensor) may be out of whack. The high revving usually occurs after the truck is heated up and approaching stoplights while downshifting from 3rd to second gear. the problem also causes an inadvertent acceleration forward without touching the accelerator. Can anybody help with any general advice on resolving this high idle problem? i can't even let anybody test drive it,due to this safety issue.i am 63,disabled and can't throw a lot of $ into this persistent problem. Thanks very kindly for any help resolving this issue.sincerely Brian in North Burnaby,BC.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Pulled the codes yet?

Smitty5882

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Pulled the codes yet?
No. The mechanics here charge about $110/hour to hook it up to the computer. Is that a prudent first step ? So far, we have traced that there may be a problem with the TPS- Throttle positioning sensor. Thanks Franklin.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Being a 95 you are borderline on what computer system you have. If you have the connector under the steering wheel/dash area, you have OBDII and you can get a code reader for less than $110.

If you do not have a connector under the dash, then you still have the old system with the connectors under the hood. You need to dig them out, they are usually hanging around on the pass side near the hood hinge area. You do not need a code reader for this type(OBD1), only a testlight and a jumper wire. You can also get a reader for these, here is one for $33.

Here's how to pull the codes without a reader if you have the older OBD1 setup.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Unless you are versed in morse code, the Innova 3145 is worth every penny.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Counting the light flashes is not that bad is it?
Try it before spending money for a scanner, if it doesn't work you aren't out anything.
You can also remove and clean the IAC for free. IAC is Idle Air Control if you didn't know and it may be sticking if it hasn't been cleaned in a while. Separate the solenoid from it before spraying cleaner into it and use either throttle body cleaner or maybe brake clean, not carb clean.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals