• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hey guys I'm back! tranny question

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I've been inactive for probably over a year now, the old a4ld ate the dirt and I am just now getting the funds to get a new one after buying a lemmon last fall. Also am VERY tired of driving my primer grey camry/terd. :D
I am hoping to swap it over to a manual and am going scrapyard hunting in the morning.

From what I have gathered my best bet is to find an M50D which can be found behind '88 and up rangers?
Also an HD model is somehwat better and is in '97-'02 Explorers/Rangers '01 and up?
I need a 4x4 version so yeah....one can always hope :icon_cheers:

It will probably be easier to find the FM145/6 trannies but I need the 146 because the 145 is a hair shorter correct? I believe the 146 can be found in '88 and up 2.9L rangers?

With a little wiring and tuning work I should not need to swap out the ECM?

Also plan on pulling clutch stuff, slave, pedal brackets, flywheel, and other goodies.

Mainly looking for confirmation/correction on the info I've gathered, looking foreword to re-joining the ranger ranks :icon_cheers:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
FM145 is shorter.

80s M5OD won't work for you, they were all 2wd.

Take a peek at your existing pedal bracket. I think they all had the hole through them so all you would need is the pedal itself.

Get all your hydraulics new, that is a bad place to go playing with used parts.

Swap computers. If you don't, it will run and drive, but won't ever be quite right.

The HD model is marginally better, but totally uneeded in your application. It is upgraded to handle the torque of the 4.0 SOHC, something your 2.9 will never come close to producing. Some of the minor differences will further complicate the swap.

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info!

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You will need to get the pedals out of a 1987(or similar)---I pulled some from an '89 and the shaft is much longer and won't work.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will need to get the pedals out of a 1987(or similar)---I pulled some from an '89 and the shaft is much longer and won't work.
This is a good point.

83 to 87 have the same pedal. 88 the arm changed, but the shaft is the same. 89 and up the shaft is longer.

The 87/88 split on the pedal arm is only an issue if you want to use the clutch safety switch instead of leaving the jumper plug in. In 88 they changed from the 4-wire switch that mounts on the bracket to the 6-wire "triple function" switch that mounts around the master cylinder push rod. It will not plug into your 87 harness, but will get popped off the shaft by the old-style pedal arm. The 88 arm will not activate the early-style switch because the bend it wrong.

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well today was an utter disappointment! looked through about 400 fords at the pull-a-part and found only one which had been torn into already :bawling: got a couple more self-pull type places around me to check and a junkyard I hope I can find something.
Will definitely remember that bit about the pedals thanks

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The HD model is marginally better, but totally uneeded in your application. It is upgraded to handle the torque of the 4.0 SOHC, something your 2.9 will never come close to producing. Some of the minor differences will further complicate the swap.
So I'm still looking around and am going to go talk to a junk yard tomorrow, My 2.9 has almost 300k miles on her and I'm planning on a 4.0L swap when it finally bites the dust, I'd like whatever tranny I put into it now to work behind the future swap motor as well. So will the standard M5OD handle a 4.0 or do I need to find a HD model? I should mention I plan on building the motor a wee bit :icon_thumby: It would be pretty awesome if I didn't have to do another tranny swap with the next motor, has anyone put a HD-M5OD behind a 2.9L? How much more complicated is it?
Thanks

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
From what I have read I don't think it will work. If you can why not just do the 4.0 swap complete?

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Because I really just want to get the thing running again, might have to put any auto into it at this point the junkyards around me have nothing in the way of manuals

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I will annotate here in a contrasting color:

FM145 is shorter. Yes

80s M5OD won't work for you, they were all 2wd. Incorrect.though 2.9's were less common than FM146 transmissions
they DID make 4x4 M5OD-R1 transmissions for the 2.9 in 1988-89.
In addition they made 2.3 4x4's in both years and the FM132/146
was not made for the 4cyl engine, so if you find a 2.3 4x4 either
'88 or '89 it MUST be a "Mazda

Take a peek at your existing pedal bracket. I think they all had the hole through them so all you would need is the pedal itself.

it's far easier to swap out the bracket as an assembly than struggle with replacing just the pedals.

Get all your hydraulics new, that is a bad place to go playing with used parts.

AMEN!

Swap computers. If you don't, it will run and drive, but won't ever be quite right.

What will be wrong is the computer will never make the engine "engine brake" correctly, it will also cost you fuel mileage, because
on the manual computer if the throttle is closed above 1400rpm or so the manual trans computer (after a 1second delay) turns all of the injectors OFF.

On an auto trans this would result in some weird driveability issues

The BIG issue is on the HD trans the extension housing is different, there's a speed sensor where the T-case shifter needs to bolt up.

That about covers the details.

But uf you really need to swap to a manual computer on a 1987 I personally recommend a 1988-92 Engine computer, I'll explain why in detail if you ask or you can read previous posts where I explained it in detail already

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
And if she has an adams apple, be very very wary....

AJ

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help guys AllanD I'd love to hear about your reasons for which comp to use if you wanna post a link to the thread? I've found pedal brackets, various computers, clutch parts and other things at the scrapyards but never pulled them because i didn't want to fool with it without having the transmission itself so I believe i will be able to find everything else I need. I have found one more junkyard to check thats pretty good sized, might go this weekend wish me luck!

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I believe I have exhausted the possibility of finding one near me for any sort of good price, I see the fm146 and m50D on ebay for $650, not really wanting to go that route but I don't see an alternative right now. I may just start collecting all the other parts needed and hope one turns up somewhere or else I'll buy one outright once I know I have all the other parts. If anyone knows where I can find one let me know :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo, 4.0L, 4.0L SOHC, 5.7L (yea chevy motor, I didn't do it though!)
Transmission
Manual
I've got one out of a 94 Explorer 4.0L for sale. I ran it in my 98 Ranger mud drag truck with a 4.0L SOHC last year but dont have any use for it now. My new drag truck runs a built fuel injected small block with a C6

Last edited:

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got one out of a 94 Explorer 4.0L for sale. I ran it in my 98 Ranger mud drag truck with a 4.0L SOHC last year but dont have any use for it now. My new drag truck runs a built fuel injected small block with a C6
Hmm if only you were close by...shoot me a message if you ever come toward charlotte??

So I've done another round of the scrapyards and actually found some manuals but all were 2wd :bawling: I don't believe there is a way to make one of those work with a different extension housing or anything but correct me if I'm wrong cause that would be awesome :icon_thumby:
Can I use the pedal bracket and or ECM from a 2wd by any chance?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals