• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hey guys and gals, I'm here because I finally bought my first truck!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
'96 Ranger XLT 5spd RWD 2.3L with over 200k miles. I've driven trucks owned by my parents or someone I worked for before, but this little puppy is all mine. It came with issues, took me a month to get it to pass inspection so I could get new plates and a title. It's been a year now, time to reregister. Only problem is a 301 misfire code in front of me. So I'm gonna go read some more threads and get a clue, prolly post a new one and lay out what I know see if I can find my next step...wish me luck.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
What? No pics? I hear a lot about inspections and what not. What a PITA that must be. I live so far out in the sticks the so called authorities could give 2 💩s what you drive or how well it’s maintained. Of course, I get more tractor traffic past my house than cars or trucks.

Welcome to the show. Keep us updated on ur new ride. And send us a pic now and then. 👍🏼

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Thanks tw205, I will have to takes some shots of her. She's not much to look at yet, she came in a color called Cayman that's losing it's clearcoat and has these little mud flaps somewhat stiffly mounted to the wheel well. Otherwise she don't stand out much...

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
you guys inspections have to do with the check engine light? txdot vehicle inspection doesn't list the check engine light.

and they don't ever mention it when we get inspections done here in south texas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
ok...I don't think it's the light that causes the "FAIL" so much as it is the fact that it is intermittently misfiring when I drive it like I stole it. I've actually seen the code clear for a few days, but come right back the first time I misfire again. But from what I've read, a misfiring cylinder will catch a "FAIL". The CEL is just an indicator of the problem.
But hey, I don't mean to turn this into a help me thread...I'll repost in the correct Forum

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
maybe you guys have emission testing up there and it fails there. we don't have anything more than a visual of the system being in place so a check light doesn't cause problems.

i didn't think it was a help me thread, i was just asking

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals