• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hey Ford!!! Screw you guys!!!!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Where is the big mystery here? You could apply "ecoboost" techniques to a 460, it would be killer. Add small turbos, DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder with valve timing and direct injection and it will clearly make tons of power. These technologies have allowed engines to make power over a much wider rpm range with a lower fuel consumption than before, and would work on any displacement or cylinder configuration - it's simply a matter of deciding how much power is needed.

Of course if the displacement is big enough you can make tones of power NA too, it's just less efficient in terms of power produced per fuel used.

Torque vs rpm is an irrelevant discussion - they are two ways of presenting the same data. I can change a plot of torque vs rpm to one of hp vs rpm with no additional info, they are the same info. In physics, power is what does work. The problem is that people try to assign meaning to the torque figure that it doesn't have and just confuse themselves. The rpm the engine makes power is irrelevant, rather it's the shape of the power curve that matters. Just use gears to move it up or down in rpm as needed, the gearing does not change the power output at all.

Last edited:

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Anyways, having precise cam timing appears to be the reason to eliminate the key/pin, but Ford screwed something up in either the design or the service info for this engine. It's been common to do this for several years now and others have got it right.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Im guessing if they just increased the torque specs on the cam/crank nuts the issue would be null.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
The rpm the engine makes power is irrelevant, rather it's the shape of the power curve that matters.
So a 1.5 liter engine spinning 10,000 RPM tp make 750 lb.ft. of torque and 600 hp is just as viable as a 7.3 liter engine spinning 3500 RPM to do the same work?
Just use gears to move it up or down in rpm as needed, the gearing does not change the power output at all.
If gears do not change the power "output" why are they needed? Gears do not change the power "input". Gears multiply or divide a given input power into a more suitable power for the job to be done. So yes, gears change the output power. Don't believe me, try to take off in overdrive in your manual transmission.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
The neat thing about the Godzilla... and what I really like as someone who keeps vehicles forever... it freaking swims in that engine bay. Compared to a SOHC/DOHC/diesel it looks like it will be a dream to work on.
Hate to say it, but waiting to see if the 7.3 has a manual available in another market... If so, bye bye doody.

It has efi. I can **** with it. It wins.

And as cool as the ecoboost are (have driven), an engine I can **** with with familiar tech wins out every time.
Fusion reactors turn hydrogen into helium... I'm 30% sure neither of those are radioactive.
Deuterium and tritium are radioactive as neutron emission sources, both are forms of hydrogen 🤷🏿‍♂️

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Torque vs rpm is an irrelevant discussion - they are two ways of presenting the same data. I can change a plot of torque vs rpm to one of hp vs rpm with no additional info, they are the same info. In physics, power is what does work. The problem is that people try to assign meaning to the torque figure that it doesn't have and just confuse themselves. The rpm the engine makes power is irrelevant, rather it's the shape of the power curve that matters. Just use gears to move it up or down in rpm as needed, the gearing does not change the power output at all.
If this is the case then why does anyone buy a diesel to tow with? Is it becauae they like 10qt oil changes and DPF failures?

Having an engine that you need to keep spun up to crazy RPMs to get anything done is insane.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
So a 1.5 liter engine spinning 10,000 RPM tp make 750 lb.ft. of torque and 600 hp is just as viable as a 7.3 liter engine spinning 3500 RPM to do the same work?

If gears do not change the power "output" why are they needed? Gears do not change the power "input". Gears multiply or divide a given input power into a more suitable power for the job to be done.

So yes, gears change the output power. Don't believe me, try to take off in overdrive in your manual transmission.
Gears do not change the output power at all. If you put 600hp into a 10:1 gear set you get 600hp out of it (minus minor friction losses). HP is roughly equal to torque x rpm - the gears just trade one against the other so you get 10X the torque at 1/10 the rpm, but the power is constant.

So yes, take that 1.5L spinning at 10k and run it through a 2.86:1 gear set and your 600hp is now at 3500rpm. It really is that simple.

Last edited:

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If this is the case then why does anyone buy a diesel to tow with? Is it becauae they like 10qt oil changes and DPF failures?

Having an engine that you need to keep spun up to crazy RPMs to get anything done is insane.
Because of the shape of the power curve, and because there is more energy in a gallon of diesel than in a gallon of gasoline. And because you always get some amount of diesel when you refine gasoline - you cannot change the proportions much - so we produce it as a byproduct or refining gasoline. Therefore it is artificially reduced in price because it’s sort of a waste product.

These new engines have power curves very much like diesels, and they can do that without the massive emissions of diesels.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
So yes, take that 1.5L spinning at 10k and run it through a 2.86:1 gear set and your 600hp is now at 3500rpm. It really is that simple.
But it wouldnt outpull a friggin lawnmower.

You take one of these modern engines and bolt them to a 3speed C6 and a 3.07 rear like whats in my 77, it would friggin puke.

Thats my point.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm gonna have to consult with my mechanic on this one....

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You take one of these modern engines and bolt them to a 3speed C6 and a 3.07 rear like whats in my 77, it would friggin puke.
Which is why we don't do that.

I'm not a fan of the 6F35 trans either, but it does keep these 4-cyls in their power bands.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals