• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Hey everyone

Treefarmer96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a 91 with a 2.3 that needs a lot of work I’ve found tons of great information already :) I think the first thing I’ll tackle is fixing all the sketchy Jerry-rigged wiring. I’ve found some grounds that are cut and apparently some kind of sensors or something are missing(driver side fender) and the fuel pump seems to be running on a different circuit than it should be(truck runs with relay pulled and inertia switch unplugged???). If anyone could tell me what could be missing or maybe point me to a wiring diagram I’d really appreciate it!

Treefarmer96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Also if I’m not able to get my electrical and fuel issues sorted out would it be feasible to swap to a 4 plug head and carb?

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Uhh Ron D is the guy to answer this but here's my 2¢.

If you look on the driverside of the engine block you'll see a hole in it with a "plug" that's for a distributor that was done away with when ford went to E-diss. If I remember correctly you can remove that and Install a dizzy. But you might have to change the oil pump setup for one that has the required gear to drive the dizzy.

Then there are companies that sell carb intakes and if I'm not mistaken they also offer an adapter that allows you to remove the upper section of your intake and adapt a carb right there. Look into the dirt circle track companies. But as I'm sure you know that would require a coil and etc if you want to run it old skool.

Now as for the single plug head they were early engine heads, so search the yards for 1st gen 4cyl's. Also I think they were known for cracks as well (more common in turbo 2.3s). But I would at least try running just the one side of the plugs see what happens, on your current dual plug head that is.

Also you could deck the head down to raise compression and run a better cam
Because if your running a carb you'll have to tune it yourself so what's it matter if the cam is different, and pick up a few ponies while your at it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals