• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Here is my lunch break paint job

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I was working on my truck for the past month or so. Had to replace the fuel pump. Of course the fuel pump goes bad when I have a full tank of gas. So instead of dealing with a full tank of gas and dropping the tank I decided to remove the bed instead. Wanted to remove the bed anyway so I could paint the frame too. So I start on the bed bolts, had to use a break bar to bust them loose then my impact gun. Only broke one bolt shockingly. The bolts were soooo rusty and thin that most of them were not reusable. After seeing that they are almost 60-70 dollars for new ones I decided to use 1/2" grade 8 bolts with stop nuts instead. So I got the pump replaced then started cleaning the frame since it was really rusty. Our body shop guys have a sweet frame scaler that I used which ate the rust off with ease. I accidentally got too close to a brake line and busted it. (it was due). So I replaced most of the rusted out brake lines. Finally got to where I was ready for paint. I had found a bargain on craigslist a few months ago for some rustoleum tractor paint. I have green, blue, two reds and two yellows. I was testing out some colors and found that the green was way too bright. Mixed in some blue and it was too bright as well. Finally bought a quart of black paint and mixed with the green and blue and I got a color that was almost dead on with the paint. So now I have painted the back half of the frame since the bed was off. Got the bed back on and used the better 1/2" bolts on every spot except the front bolts by the gas tank. I couldn't get the 1/2" bolt to work there since I don't have a j-clip there so I had to use the factory torx bolt with j clip. By the way, I was sure to use anti-seize on all the bolts so they come off easy down the road. So now I have my good ol' truck up and running again. Here are some pics of the before and after.

Attachments

Last edited:

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an f350 and needed to carry some extra fuel. I mounted a 20 gal barrel in a wooden carrier and then mounted it to a 3/4 inch plywood piece. The factory bolts were then too short, so I went to an ace hardware for some all thread of same size and made 2 longer bolts. Just welded the nuts on the exposed tops and then you have longer bolts and no fiddling with new nut plates etc.

98 red ranger

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
was wondering if you ever got it painted. LOOKS GREAT. Amazing how a little time mixing tractor colors can come up w/ a close match. Great job.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
was wondering if you ever got it painted. LOOKS GREAT. Amazing how a little time mixing tractor colors can come up w/ a close match. Great job.
Yeah I think I got lucky because I just poured 5 oz of green, 5 oz of blue and then 3 oz of black and it turned out really close. I bet all in all I used a quart of paint so far. An that's with 2 coats on the frame. I still have to do the front half of the frame but that will be another day when I get time to use the lift. The rear is what takes the most rust abuse anyway. I'm really happy with it. I think I am going to paint the leaf springs black if I have some left over. I still have a few gallons of red and yellow so things at home have been getting painted. Painted my lawn mower wagon Massey Ferguson red lol.

RangerRough

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6.5"
Tire Size
35" KM3
Excellent, looks beautiful

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
You can chase the J nuts with a 1/2 thread tap and a little oil. :D
The bed came to me held on by only 4 bolts. All 4 weren't re-usable I re- threaded the J nuts and used all thread and 1/2 stuff I had on hand with lotsa washers. The back frame section was missing the spare tire sheet metal The bed was angled in relation to the cab. Thats where the all thread was used along with about 1 1/4 of shim. :D

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can chase the J nuts with a 1/2 thread tap and a little oil. :D
The bed came to me held on by only 4 bolts. All 4 weren't re-usable I re- threaded the J nuts and used all thread and 1/2 stuff I had on hand with lotsa washers. The back frame section was missing the spare tire sheet metal The bed was angled in relation to the cab. Thats where the all thread was used along with about 1 1/4 of shim. :D
Tried that and I broke the handle on my tap lol. For now it will do. I plan on hitting up the local pick and pull and finding a better bed bolt for the front corner. For now I have that bolt coated with anti seize so it will come right out with my impact.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals