• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Here’s you chance to warn me about the 2006 Explorer

Patrologia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
3.0L Edge
Transmission
Manual
I’m considering buying an Explorer, and leaning towards the 4.6, and prefer 2006 or later based on what I’ve read about the 6 speed transmission being better. I have heard though, that the ‘06 model itself had issues. Is this accurate? Should I only look at 2007 and later? What issues did the 2006 have? If it matters, I’ll want the AWD, since I will be dealing with snow all winter.
Asking here, because I don’t belong to any Explorer groups yet with technically minded owners.
Thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Personally I would avoid the 06-10 generation. And the AWD. I prefer the 02-5, with a specific focus on the 04 and 05 model years.

The 5R55, 4R70W, and 6R60 transmissions are all good units, and none were prone to any particular issues. The 6R60 will produce a bit more fuel economy, but is actually rated for less engine output than the 4R70W, and those were the two V8 transmissions in the years in question.

They all, 02-10 have the same basic design, and issues. Particularly wheel bearings, IRS Explorers almost always seem to have at least one wheel bearing making noise. The rears on the 02-05 are much easier to service. The rear arms were redesigned for 06 making it much harder to remove the rear knuckles to press the bearings in and out. Also the 06+ have PCM issues, and the computers (and likely their base components) have been on back order for years now. I've never had a PCM fail on an 02-06.

The AWD systems are also finicky. They are a far cry from modern AWD systems that can actively uncouple the rear wheels. The early Explorer AWD systems used a fluid coupler and center diff system in a traditional transfer case case. These require both drive shafts to be installed at all times and the all four tires to be within a few thirty-seconds of an inch of each other in radius, or you will get binding that makes the system hop and skip, and puts immense extra strain on the fluid coupler, an expensive part that was already prone to failures. The automatic 4x4 system is just as effective, if not better, only really ever causing issues if a wheel speed sensor fails, because then it locks itself into 4-hi and you can't get it out until the problem is fixed. If you really want true AWD that isn't prone to tons of head-ache inducing problems, skip the 3rd and 4th gen Explorers altogether and go to something 2011 or newer.

Unless you have specific need of the bigger engine I would consider the 4.0 over the 4.6. Both are good engines, and I know the 4.0 had an overly complex timing drive, but in the years you are looking at its issues had been pretty well solved. The Triton V8s on the other hand had issues with the exhaust manifolds warping and cracking causing exhaust leaks. Those manifolds are bad enough to service in an F-150, the Explorer engine bay is tighter yet. Also, in the 06+ years that would be a 4.6 3-valve, which has the same three-piece spark plug that you hear so many horror stories about from the 5.4L 3V. They build up carbon around the plug bridge inside the cylinder and then break when you try to remove them. An 02-05 would still have the 2V 4.6, which is no easier on exhaust manifolds, but has a more traditional style spark plug that isn't known for breaking off inside the head.

Patrologia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
3.0L Edge
Transmission
Manual
Personally I would avoid the 06-10 generation. And the AWD. I prefer the 02-5, with a specific focus on the 04 and 05 model years.

The 5R55, 4R70W, and 6R60 transmissions are all good units, and none were prone to any particular issues. The 6R60 will produce a bit more fuel economy, but is actually rated for less engine output than the 4R70W, and those were the two V8 transmissions in the years in question.

They all, 02-10 have the same basic design, and issues. Particularly wheel bearings, IRS Explorers almost always seem to have at least one wheel bearing making noise. The rears on the 02-05 are much easier to service. The rear arms were redesigned for 06 making it much harder to remove the rear knuckles to press the bearings in and out. Also the 06+ have PCM issues, and the computers (and likely their base components) have been on back order for years now. I've never had a PCM fail on an 02-06.

The AWD systems are also finicky. They are a far cry from modern AWD systems that can actively uncouple the rear wheels. The early Explorer AWD systems used a fluid coupler and center diff system in a traditional transfer case case. These require both drive shafts to be installed at all times and the all four tires to be within a few thirty-seconds of an inch of each other in radius, or you will get binding that makes the system hop and skip, and puts immense extra strain on the fluid coupler, an expensive part that was already prone to failures. The automatic 4x4 system is just as effective, if not better, only really ever causing issues if a wheel speed sensor fails, because then it locks itself into 4-hi and you can't get it out until the problem is fixed. If you really want true AWD that isn't prone to tons of head-ache inducing problems, skip the 3rd and 4th gen Explorers altogether and go to something 2011 or newer.

Unless you have specific need of the bigger engine I would consider the 4.0 over the 4.6. Both are good engines, and I know the 4.0 had an overly complex timing drive, but in the years you are looking at its issues had been pretty well solved. The Triton V8s on the other hand had issues with the exhaust manifolds warping and cracking causing exhaust leaks. Those manifolds are bad enough to service in an F-150, the Explorer engine bay is tighter yet. Also, in the 06+ years that would be a 4.6 3-valve, which has the same three-piece spark plug that you hear so many horror stories about from the 5.4L 3V. They build up carbon around the plug bridge inside the cylinder and then break when you try to remove them. An 02-05 would still have the 2V 4.6, which is no easier on exhaust manifolds, but has a more traditional style spark plug that isn't known for breaking off inside the head.
Thanks for that info, definitely not the warning I expected.
As for the AWD advice, I think I agree with you on every point. I only stated AWD because my understanding is that AWD was the only option on the V8 other than RWD, and let's face it, RWD in Milwaukee Wisconsin is not something I want to deal with. I would prefer a selectable 4wd, like I have on my '04 Ranger, and don't need full time AWD. I don't really want the 2011 and following Explorers, because I really just want a truck based SUV, not a crossover. It probably proves I'm not thinking clearly, but I just don't like the idea of a FWD car based SUV.
I'm curious about your engine and tranny opinions though, because they do run counter to a lot of what I've been reading. I thought the general consensus was that the 5 speed transmission on everything before 06, and on the 6 cylinders even after 06, was a problematic tranny to be avoided and that after 2006 it was better to buy the V8 just to get the 6r.
I haven't been too worried about the spark plug issue, mainly because by this point these motors should all be well past the 100k point when they needed new plugs, and my understanding was that the replacement plugs would have fixed the problem. This is also why I have slightly been favoring something 08 or later, because I thought the plugs issue was solved starting with the 2008. No?

I hope more people will chime in. If the 04-05 model are that much better and the 5r55 is actually just as reliable, it might open up my shopping options.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The V8 AWD combo was more common, at least in some areas, than the V8 with selectable 4x4, but the latter does exist. My brother in law had one, so I know at least one was built.

The 5R was not a particularly problematic transmission. They had issues with the case wearing around one piston bore, which was not a fun fix, but not a killer either. Most of them go at least 100K to 150K miles, which is pretty typical for an automatic transmission. One thing that nobody in the auto industry really likes to talk about is the fact that an automatic transmission is a wear item.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
One thing that nobody in the auto industry really likes to talk about is the fact that an automatic transmission is a wear item.
Well that wasn't very smart to say out loud...

45.gif

Edit - that was obviously the wrong gif, it was suppose to be CIA helicopters, but I think Stan trying to make macaroni still gets the point across so I'm not fixing it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I have an 08 Explorer with the 4.6L V8, luckily the spark plugs were done already. It also has the "selectable" 4WD system in the way that you have 4WD auto, high, and low. No 2WD mode...although I think somewhere on the forum is a way to get 2WD by adding some wires and a toggle switch, and that possibly might be a good option for some people, but the auto mode doesn't seem to really be of a hinderance at all, and you really only notice it engaging in heavy acceleration in slick conditions, and its extremely fast at activating and deactivating. It works great, there's some noise in the transfer case as can be expected with an electromagnetic clutch type engagement, but its a very seamless engagement and disengagement, and never had any surprises with it this past winter in the snow/ice.

Spark plug issues still existed in the 08 models as well...the 6R60 transmission in my 08 seems to work just fine, I did have the fluid/filter changed in it right after I bought it as they couldn't locate the record of that although they did later on come back and send me an invoice from the dealer showing transmission serviced at 65k so it had been done once, and was pretty much time for it again...although the manual I think says every 30k, so who knows, I just know its not 127k mile fluid in it LOL.

The engine bay with the V8 is pretty packed. The fan clutch in the V8 models is electrically controlled too I noticed. The V8 also has some engine over-temp failsafe stuff too that I was reading about, which I assume would be the "interceptor" models only.

RangerJoey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Teen Wolf for President!
Just chiming in here: I have an 2006 V8 with selectable 4WD. Transmission is good, but 1st gear is dog. The thing really wants to live in 4th and almost temps you to open up too much. Only saying that because I do a lot of city driving and at a light, always annoyed with "launch". Once I hit about 40, my OCD takes it up to 60 whenever possible.

Saying that, I think I had every issue you could have from a 1st year model. Just did the front bearings. Lots of swearing to get them out. Of my 8 spark plugs, 6 broke (even with the Lisle tool). Radiators, known to be really bad on the early two years of this generation, cried like it was watching the end of Titanic. And adding to what wildbill said, something in the heating system would sometimes cause the truck to sound like UPS truck or something. It consistently happened after full operating temperature and then sitting at a light for a few minutes. If I restarted the truck at the next light, the jet fighter sound would go away by the time I hit 2nd. Never knew if it was the clutch, but swapped the clutch, hoses, and thermostat when doing the radiator and it cured it. The work wasn't a big deal since I was already there, but the clutch may or may not have been waisted money.

I'm a nobody. And I did things on cars, but that you're talking spark plugs, filters, maybe brakes. This Explorer has given me a lot of opportunity to learn more. In my book, not a bad thing. But please believe me when I say if I can do this stuff, you can do it too if that's really the generation/setup you want. Even with a stuffed engine bay, it's an easy car to work on. And mine is a limited. Besides backup cameras, blindspot sensors, and a smart head unit - all stuff you can add - the options on this thing are still up to par with your new cars. I'm at the point now where I need to make a decision on replacing the entire suspension and tires or moving to another vehicle. I'm leaning towards the former. I really do love this truck and while it might be a financial risk, (like if it's totaled, insurance won't care about all the work I'd be doing), I can't justify a new purchase. The real pain - financially and otherwise - is going to be the rear bearings. They're pressed so the easier option is to just buy an all-in-one knuckle. There again, more money.

Point is, if you like this generation and have both some time and money, you'll reap the benefits. If you hate getting your hands dirty or have only like $500-$800 to put into this truck, you really have to look for an 08-10. And even then, you're looking at a lot of the same issues.

And random notes:
  • Earlier models have different interior door handles. They lift up, (like a go-wing car door). Always fun watching a new passenger try to get out the first time. Also always a pain holding your door if you're opening on a hill in a parking lot.
  • The V6 doesn't use coil-on-plugs. The V8 does. The 8th coil likes to go bad on some if water gets in from the hood cowl, (just open after a rainstorm and it'll tell you if that is happening).
  • YouTube is full of amazing how-to's. The fact it was a popular truck helps with part options and know-how.
  • Looking any age or condition, you'll likely need to replace the hood struts and rear door struts. Just ask me what happens when you let those go...
  • Just assume half your strut bar endlinks are on the highway somewhere and replace them. Like $10-$15 apiece and 20 minutes of work.
  • Checking the transmission is stupid. I wound up buying "welder's gloves" when pull the dipstick from under the car. You know, the one right by the exhaust. That WILL break on you.
One final-final note, (my god I had a lot of coffee this morning!): If you're able to test drive and take it to a good shop, have them hook it up to a scanner, (you can also do this yourself with a decent Bluetooth OBD2 and app like Torque Pro). There are a lot gray codes stemming from the rear on tons of models. Most are related to the ABS/Traction control system. The three things that go are sensors, ($30, 10 minutes), the Tone Rings, ($10 and whole day and special tool), or bearing, (depends on the choice you go with). And all of what I'm saying in this last part also applies to the 02-05 generation too. They had a good bit of similarities.

EDIT: OMG i just realized this was from LAST February! lol

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Just chiming in here: I have an 2006 V8 with selectable 4WD. Transmission is good, but 1st gear is dog. The thing really wants to live in 4th and almost temps you to open up too much. Only saying that because I do a lot of city driving and at a light, always annoyed with "launch". Once I hit about 40, my OCD takes it up to 60 whenever possible.

Saying that, I think I had every issue you could have from a 1st year model. Just did the front bearings. Lots of swearing to get them out. Of my 8 spark plugs, 6 broke (even with the Lisle tool). Radiators, known to be really bad on the early two years of this generation, cried like it was watching the end of Titanic. And adding to what wildbill said, something in the heating system would sometimes cause the truck to sound like UPS truck or something. It consistently happened after full operating temperature and then sitting at a light for a few minutes. If I restarted the truck at the next light, the jet fighter sound would go away by the time I hit 2nd. Never knew if it was the clutch, but swapped the clutch, hoses, and thermostat when doing the radiator and it cured it. The work wasn't a big deal since I was already there, but the clutch may or may not have been waisted money.

I'm a nobody. And I did things on cars, but that you're talking spark plugs, filters, maybe brakes. This Explorer has given me a lot of opportunity to learn more. In my book, not a bad thing. But please believe me when I say if I can do this stuff, you can do it too if that's really the generation/setup you want. Even with a stuffed engine bay, it's an easy car to work on. And mine is a limited. Besides backup cameras, blindspot sensors, and a smart head unit - all stuff you can add - the options on this thing are still up to par with your new cars. I'm at the point now where I need to make a decision on replacing the entire suspension and tires or moving to another vehicle. I'm leaning towards the former. I really do love this truck and while it might be a financial risk, (like if it's totaled, insurance won't care about all the work I'd be doing), I can't justify a new purchase. The real pain - financially and otherwise - is going to be the rear bearings. They're pressed so the easier option is to just buy an all-in-one knuckle. There again, more money.

Point is, if you like this generation and have both some time and money, you'll reap the benefits. If you hate getting your hands dirty or have only like $500-$800 to put into this truck, you really have to look for an 08-10. And even then, you're looking at a lot of the same issues.

And random notes:
  • Earlier models have different interior door handles. They lift up, (like a go-wing car door). Always fun watching a new passenger try to get out the first time. Also always a pain holding your door if you're opening on a hill in a parking lot.
  • The V6 doesn't use coil-on-plugs. The V8 does. The 8th coil likes to go bad on some if water gets in from the hood cowl, (just open after a rainstorm and it'll tell you if that is happening).
  • YouTube is full of amazing how-to's. The fact it was a popular truck helps with part options and know-how.
  • Looking any age or condition, you'll likely need to replace the hood struts and rear door struts. Just ask me what happens when you let those go...
  • Just assume half your strut bar endlinks are on the highway somewhere and replace them. Like $10-$15 apiece and 20 minutes of work.
  • Checking the transmission is stupid. I wound up buying "welder's gloves" when pull the dipstick from under the car. You know, the one right by the exhaust. That WILL break on you.
One final-final note, (my god I had a lot of coffee this morning!): If you're able to test drive and take it to a good shop, have them hook it up to a scanner, (you can also do this yourself with a decent Bluetooth OBD2 and app like Torque Pro). There are a lot gray codes stemming from the rear on tons of models. Most are related to the ABS/Traction control system. The three things that go are sensors, ($30, 10 minutes), the Tone Rings, ($10 and whole day and special tool), or bearing, (depends on the choice you go with). And all of what I'm saying in this last part also applies to the 02-05 generation too. They had a good bit of similarities.

EDIT: OMG i just realized this was from LAST February! lol
lol I realized the age of this thread when I saw a post from Dirtman.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The 08 V8 Explorers use an ABS module that's no longer available, and apparently prone to failures leaving you with a very annoying continuous beeping and warning on the dash saying SERVICE RSC NOW message. Luckily found a shop that wasn't afraid to get a used part...its been fine for several months now, but I'd avoid the 08 Explorer and the Mercury Mariner as a result. Cost $1500 in parts/labor to fix that nonsense.

Otherwise, other than all 4 wheel bearings recently I haven't had much in the way of issues other than normal wear items, 134k on the odometer right now, I don't drive it much right now, but since I got rid of my Bronco 2 I'll be driving it throughout the winter.

The Auto 4WD setting is pretty quick to react to traction loss, at least the electronic safety nannies on this aren't nearly as intrusive as my 08 Toyota Tundra was, so at least with the Explorer you can get out of your own way in slick conditions where the Tundra's intrusive system would literally cut all power on you. With my Explorer I do have the option of 4Hi and 4Lo, however all 4Hi does is lock the electromagnetic clutch in the transfer case, so you are always relying on that clutch, although I've never heard of any failures, I'm sure its quite possible for them to fail. 4Lo locks the clutch and shifts a collar over for the low range gearing, so even then you rely on a clutch. Something the NP247 transfer cases in the Jeep Grand Cherokees had as well, and they weren't quite as problematic as the NP249 transfer cases with the viscous coupler which would fail around the 120-160k mark locking you into a part time 4WD scenario which caused continuous binding in turns especially during parking maneuvers.

The 4.6L V8 does the job and gets decent fuel economy for as heavy as the Explorer is, I get 17mpg running around town with it, I haven't been able to take it on a long enough trip to really give me any highway fuel economy though. Gas prices went through the roof so I'm driving my 87 Ranger most of the time LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals