• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help?

68amc

06/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Let me start off by saying this is my first post, although I have been creeping on here a month or 2. Im new to this website, but could be seen on explorer forum under the same name. I've owned 3 1st gen explorers and a 99 mountaineer, so im not new to ford trucks. But, this IS my 1st ranger. Its a 1992 XLT 2WD 5sp single cab long bed. Im looking to get it lowered soon, but know nothing about what i need. I have my wheels picked out, there 15's off an early 90's towncar (the BBS style ones) i'll post a link if you need.

I would like to know what I would need to statically lower the truck. I want minimal wheel gap, basically slammed and level. Im not towing anything or going off road apparently. I would just want a nice stance (im kinda leaning for the typical VW look you see at waterfest or h20i). Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Tyler

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
if you want to slam it you will need 3 inch drop beams and 2 inch springs for the front, and a flip kit and flip the shackles in the rear,

heres mine different body but you get the idea it has everything i listed done

I have a set of springs ill sell you if your interested

Last edited:

68amc

06/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply man. I just got my job, its not gonna be long before I start this thing. Do they sell spacers for these things? I'm trying to get my wheels to be flush to the fender. So 5" in the front and 6" in the back would do it?

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I'd say just go with the 3" beams and flip kit. The Gen 1 and 2 rangers sit lower from the factory than do the '93+ years.

It's better to do the lowering in steps anyways. Put on beams and flip kit, then drive it a month and see how much further you want to or can go.

Sound good? There's alot of pictures around this site that shows different members' trucks and their stance.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
insanejughead is right i lowered mine in steps and the 2nd gens do sit lower or at least look it because of the wheel wells, if by spacers you mean wheel spacers then yes i have 5/16 on mine

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Be a bit careful with the spacers. What DangerRanger93 went with, 5/16", would be fine, but you definitely don't want your tires to rub on your fender and get cut up.

I have to be careful on bumps with my Thunderbird because I have 245/50/16's on it and they stick out about 1/4" from the farthest stuck out part of the fender.

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
also if you go over 5/16 you will need longer wheel studs, i really only did it to get the bullitts to fit over the hub

68amc

06/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So if I get the 3" drop beams, I can still lower it more than 3"? I would like to either go 5/6 or 6/7. Im just trying to see what tire profile I want that wouldn't look ridiculous. If I did the 5 in the front I would get drop beams and im guessing 2" drop springs and drop shocks? And for the back a flip kit and shackle flip kit?

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
yes and shocks for the back most guys use nissan hardbody shocks because they are shorter, i bottomed out ranger shocks just at ride height before,

most people say 5 inches in front is all you can do and still be allignable

68amc

06/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For the front I have djm 3" dream beam (PN#db3001-3), Belltech 2" coil spring (PN#4794), and Belltech nitro 2 shocks (PN#8013). Thats all I need for the front? Im not quite sure what I need for the rear to get 6"?

Last edited:

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
yes sir, for the rear get the djm flip kit, and you will need 8 grade 8 bolts to replace the rivets that hold the shackles on so you can flip them, and some hardbody shocks, not sure which ones i have some generic napa ones that are real short but way to soft

one thing you need for the front is allignment eccentrics, go to napa and get the 0-4 degree ones, about $30 each

68amc

06/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does it matter that I have the fiberglass leaf in the rear? Thanks for all your help and input everyone. This operation will start as soon as I have a solid parts list and next paycheck. I work at a shop so I can do all the work on my lift

dangeranger93

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
ive never messed with the fiberglass leaf i assume it will work but dont take my word for it

slammedxonair

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 and 00
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would recommend going with the Doetsch Nitro Slammer Shocks, over DJM, Belltech, and Toxic garbage for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals