• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help!

Leadguitar06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Escape
Transmission
Manual
Hey, used to be a member here a long time ago and figured I’d come back with this question. I have searched and searched for two or three days now across the whole Internet and can’t find the answer. Maybe some of you can help. I have a 2001 escape with the 2.0 5 speed. It’s just my little commuter car.

Car was running perfectly until one morning, after a big electrical storm(if that eve matters) I first noticed that the lights do not flash and the horn does not honk when locking the doors, then I got into the vehicle and my theft light (pats) is flashing rapidly. It eventually goes to pats code 1:1 (a dummy timeout code). I’m not throwing any actually codes, I replaced the transceiver ring to no avail. I’m still in a no start condition, any ideas?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome back

Do you have an owners manual that shows the fuse box diagram, the transceiver has its own fuse separate from the Computer or cluster, which ever has your PATS setup

So I assume you have unhooked the battery for at least 5 minutes, like when replacing transceiver?

You may have to have a Mobile locksmith come out and add your PATS keys to the system again

The lights should still flash but the Horn can be turned off, users choice, when using the fob

Leadguitar06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Escape
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I have checked every fuse in the interior block and the engine management block. I did have the battery disconnected and drained all capacitors when replacing the transceiver ring. The problem is is I’m not getting a code that states unrecognized key or the such, it is a dummy code. I have a locksmith down the street from me that said he has no idea what’s going on.

The horn always honked before. And the lights always flashed before. That’s why I’m adding this in there because it seems relevant I don’t know how though LOL

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Have you tried a different key? Hopefully you have more than one. Secondly the Pat's system codes can be read from the Gem/bcm/sjb (I dunno which your car has) but anyway it will come up as a (B or U) code which your typical generic parts store scanner wont read. A "good" locksmith should have a scanner that can access these codes. It's possible your Pats module itself is fried which will give you a no communication code. I suggest finding a better locksmith.

Leadguitar06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Escape
Transmission
Manual
I’ll look into that, my impression was with this year, that there is no module, and it’s built into the ECU.

Leadguitar06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Escape
Transmission
Manual
So I made a little progress. I replaced the old computer and programmed two new keys. It now starts reliably. I have oil pressure, however my oil light is on. I replaced the switch and it is still on. My battery light is also on, my battery reads 12 V when off in 14.2 at idle. Any ideas

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
12.0v is a bad battery. New battery should be 12.8 once a battery hits 12.3 or less it's time to replace. 14.2 is the alternator taking over once the engine is running.

As for the oil, it's a switch as you know. On or off. So could be a connector or wiring issue to the switch. If you truly had no oil pressure it would be dead within a minute and sound like hell before it seized.

Leadguitar06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Escape
Transmission
Manual
I’ll swap another battery I have around in and see, the connector to the oil pressure switch looks fine, as does the wiring, I guess I could split the loom and check it out, I can take off the oil cap and actually see the valve train getting copious amounts of oil, so I know it’s not a pressure issue.

Leadguitar06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Escape
Transmission
Manual
Just cut open the loom for about 18 inches and found no wiring damage and the connector looks fine. Any idea how I can test for continuity?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It's a switch. Zero oil pressure zero continuity. 5psi, the switch closes both are ground.

Leadguitar06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Escape
Transmission
Manual
The switch is good and I know I have a oil pressure. I’m not talking about continuity of the switch I’m talking about continuity of the harness. I have been searching Google for hours trying to find a pin out of the PCM or where the wiring for the oil pressure switch even goes.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It doesn't go through the pcm, goes straight to the cluster. Pcm has zero oil pressure data input. It's simple an idiot system to the gauge.

Leadguitar06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Escape
Transmission
Manual
Well this is been quite the ordeal. I have checked the harness for continuity. The sensor has direct continuity to the gauge cluster.

Continuity goes away once the engine is started, as it should with oil pressure. My diagnosis is something in the instrument cluster or gem module, not quite sure where to go from here

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you truly had no oil pressure it would be dead within a minute and sound like hell before it seized.
At a car show they had a charity event where for a buck you would guess how many seconds an engine would run without oil in it. I'll give you a free guess, and it isn't under a minute.

Also, it didn't make any rattles, bangs, or clunkity clunk sounds when it died. It kind of just slowed down until it stopped.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've only witnessed two engines die from oil pressure loss. A 2.2 ecotec and a 318. The ecotec went from horrifying valve train noise to dead stop, the 318 knocked banged and smoked when it pulled in, then never turned over again...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals