• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with manual transmission

captainredman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1996 3.0L ranger that has 160k miles. I just had the slave cylinder go out and a mechanic friend did the clutch and slave. I got it back and it is grinding going into 4th gear (slightly). It also will not go into 3rd gear at times. Like it is literally hitting a wall or block of some sort. When it does go in, it also grinds slightly. I have been able to get it into gear without causing much grinding. Another mechanic said that I will have to get a new transmission. This really sucks because I just spent a bunch of money on the clutch.

My question is… can I swap a transmission from a 4x2 ranger into a 4x4? I have found a bunch of transmissions for the 4x2 available at my local u-pull. I figured that since it just came out, it would be easier to replace. Also, how hard is it to replace the transmission?

Any thoughts?

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
transmissions are a pita to change. doubly so without a lift. and you really can't put a 4x2 in to a 4x4 without a lot of work and the reverse is true as well.

This isn't to say its not doable. its generally not worth the huge effort to do it.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
First thing I would do is make sure the system is completely bled...they can be a pain.
Does it shift with the engine off?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
First thing I would do is make sure the system is completely bled...they can be a pain.
Does it shift with the engine off?
+1 on what Josh said. You probably have a clutch release problem.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Yep, have to agree with the above. Your clutch hydraulics have air in them somewhere still. You need to bleed it thoroughly then your trouble will go away. It has nothing to do with the transmission.

RedRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think if I went to all that trouble I would have replaced the clutch master cylinder as well. Check it and bleed the system. I highly doubt it is a bad transmission.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
from my experience if you change one think in the clutch system then you need to change all. I replaced the slave when I had it out and the master went, I replaced a master and then the slave went (not the same as it was about 100000 later). Recently I had the trans out (by a shop) because we thought it had a leaking rear main seal. R&R all clutch components to include the flywheel. Easiest and best shifting it has been in 250000 miles.

Shop wanted to leave old master, but with the experiences I had new all around was best. Wasn't expensive this time as I had autozone lifetime parts and they were all exchanged no questions asked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals