• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with hardwiring dash cam

minusdan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Hello! I just recently bought my second Ford Ranger (2006 XLT Extended Cab) and I'm new to this forum. I'm currently trying to hardwire a dash cam to my fuse box but I must not be doing it correctly because there is no power getting to the dashcam. I have bought two different hardwire kits now and I'm having the same issue with both. Does anyone here have any experience with installing a hardwire kit?

Here is the camera that I purchased off of Amazon:

Dash Cam

Here are the two hardwire kits that I have purchased and failed to get to working:

Hardwire Kit 1
Hardwire Kit 2

I have been tapping into fuse #13 for the Horn/Interior Lamps

The thing is, when I have the fuse for the Horn/Interior Lamps plugged into the fuse tap, and the fuse tap is in the fuse slot, the horn and interior lights work. But no power is getting to the dashcam. I do have the fuse that was provided with the kit for the dashcam plugged into the tap as well.

On my original try, I had the ground wire screwed into a screw right below the dashboard. I'm not sure if this was truly grounded. But it should still power on, right? To test, I had everything connected and held the ground wire to the frame of the body and nothing happened either.

This is my first time installing a hardwire kit and I must be doing something wrong. I've looked at a bunch of different videos on YouTube but can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I'm excited to be the owner of another Ranger! My first one was back in the late 90's. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Dan

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have the same camera in my Fiesta. Few things to check... first does the camera actually work when plugged into the cigarette lighter with the adapter that came with it? Wouldn't be unheard of to just get a dead electronic device from amazon...

If you KNOW the camera does work, check the following...

#1 the fuse they gave you could be bad, stick another one in it (the add-on slot) and see what happens.

#2 the butt connector from the fuse tap may not be connected properly. They are cheap crappy connectors in those hardwire kits.

#3 you need a better ground, needs to be CLEAN bare metal. Automotive wiring is not like household wiring where you don't really need a ground, if there is no ground then there is no power. Cant go over paint, or rust, must be bare shiney steel.

minusdan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I have the same camera in my Fiesta. Few things to check... first does the camera actually work when plugged into the cigarette lighter with the adapter that came with it? Wouldn't be unheard of to just get a dead electronic device from amazon...

If you KNOW the camera does work, check the following...

#1 the fuse they gave you could be bad, stick another one in it (the add-on slot) and see what happens.

#2 the butt connector from the fuse tap may not be connected properly. They are cheap crappy connectors in those hardwire kits.

#3 you need a better ground, needs to be CLEAN bare metal. Automotive wiring is not like household wiring where you don't really need a ground, if there is no ground then there is no power. Cant go over paint, or rust, must be bare shiney steel.
Yes, the camera does work while plugged into the cigarette lighter with a different cable. That's why I bought a second hardwire kit because I thought maybe the wire in the first kit was defective. I'm guessing that's not the case now.

I'll try a different fuse from the truck, although both kits came with fuses and neither worked. Could be they both have crappy fuses?

Would you recommend buying a different fuse tap? Can I find these locally instead of ordering online?

The grounding could very well be my main problem. This will be the first thing that I check when I get a chance to work on it (probably this weekend sometime). I know there is a proper ground inside the fuse box for the rest of the fuses.

I'll let you know how things end up. Thanks for your response!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes, the camera does work while plugged into the cigarette lighter with a different cable. That's why I bought a second hardwire kit because I thought maybe the wire in the first kit was defective. I'm guessing that's not the case now.

I'll try a different fuse from the truck, although both kits came with fuses and neither worked. Could be they both have crappy fuses?

Would you recommend buying a different fuse tap? Can I find these locally instead of ordering online?

The grounding could very well be my main problem. This will be the first thing that I check when I get a chance to work on it (probably this weekend sometime). I know there is a proper ground inside the fuse box for the rest of the fuses.

I'll let you know how things end up. Thanks for your response!
I'm definitely leaning towards it being a ground issue. Like I said stick it to some clean bare metal and see if it powers up. Remember NO PAINT OR RUST. if you don't already have the wires tucked up and run through the truck yet you can also just stick the ground and fuse tap right to the battery terminals and see if the camera turns on. That will eliminate the possibility of it being an issue with the wiring harness itself. If it doesn't power on directly from the battery, your wiring is not the problem lol.

minusdan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I'm definitely leaning towards it being a ground issue. Like I said stick it to some clean bare metal and see if it powers up. Remember NO PAINT OR RUST. if you don't already have the wires tucked up and run through the truck yet you can also just stick the ground and fuse tap right to the battery terminals and see if the camera turns on. That will eliminate the possibility of it being an issue with the wiring harness itself. If it doesn't power on directly from the battery, your wiring is not the problem lol.
Stupid question... obviously the red cable goes on the positive terminal. The ground wire will go to black on the battery, or to the frame?

I'll definitely try this out to eliminate a bad harness.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Red to positive terminal +
black to negative terminal -

Put them both directly to the battery terminals.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals