• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with freeing up space.

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Okey, Tryin to clean up my hard drive some. I have done away with all programes i dont use thro the install/uninstall thing, and done the cleanups etc but the bar is still red on my C drive. I need to clean this thing up and have no ideal were to start being puter stupid.
I have done the removein files in the temp folder and all that. Just need some space to get DIRT 3 on here.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
how much space do you have total? I would just look to see what is consuming all of that space manually through explorer, or with a utility like OverDisk.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Google CCleaner and Cleanup452. Run them both. Cleanup 452 first. That should free up some space. Other than that find out what folders are so big. maybe get an external drive and move pictures, documents, vids, etc to it.

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
74.5GB totle. and 2.12gb remaining. And Im runing cccleaner atm. Will get the outher one. I have no ideal what is takeing so much space. I dont have nothing on here hardley. Onley like 10-15 pics, And a like 4 movies. Im not much on pcs but I dont think 4 movies and 15 pics should use a whole hard drive.

fix_or_repair_daily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Chevy,Satu
Engine Size
2.3, 5.7, 1.9
Transmission
Manual
What OS are you running? My desktop running XP SP3 has an 80gb HDD with around 35gb to spare. May be some kind of bloat ware on it? I have noticed that sometimes the Uninstall Programs thing doesn't always delete the entire program. Sometimes you have to track some of the folders and delete them yourself. What other kinds of programs do you have on it?

Josh

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Video of any type can be a real memory hog. check the size of your video files.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Take out the drive and pull the tab on the bottom and hold it upside down...all the excess data will flow out and you can just install it again...

Ahem, seriously though...

Do you download music or games? If so...get a CD burner and burn it onto CD's (or maybe you won't be able to do this effectively until the drive is clearer)...or get an external drive and move it all onto that (as someone else suggested)...

If you're not sure how to do that you might need to call in a friend or call Geeks R Us (or whatever they call themselves)...just don't let yourself get into costly upgrades...an external drive shouldn't cost more than $50 and you can move the files yourself...

jarfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It was a vid file. But now I got the game on here and what would ya know. Not shader 3.0 compatable or something. Ugh I hate pc's. Now im just goin go back to my corner and play tic tak toe with my rock and chesal. lol

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
80 gig harddrive eh? what are the rest of your specs, me guesses pentium 4...

i shouldn't be stereo typing pcs right now based on drive size, i have a core 2 quad with an 80gig harddrive because my 1.5TB took a crap..

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
80 gig harddrive eh? what are the rest of your specs, me guesses pentium 4...

i shouldn't be stereo typing pcs right now based on drive size, i have a core 2 quad with an 80gig harddrive because my 1.5TB took a crap..
lol, you guessed my work POS. :icon_rofl:

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
dont feel bad, i have a pentium 2 laptop with a 80gig harddrive!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
80 GIGS!!!!

My first computer had 8 Meg HDD...80 GIGS would last me quite a while...maybe even longer than that...lol

I just found two 80 GIG SATA drives that I need to complete the computer I found...the guy wants $50 for the pair...cash only...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals