• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with Crosman 357 pellet gun

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
I found one in the basement, looks ok, except, it doesn't have the magazine for the pellets. Looks like you can't get the 6-shot but you can get the 10-shot magazines. I think Pyramid Air has the latter. I was hoping I could get it locally but we don't have Bass Pro or Cabela's and those are so far the only other places I found the magazines so if you know of any chains that carry them that would be great.

Questions:
1. The left grip, absent a CO2 cartridge, doesn't stay on. Is it supposed to? When you have a CO2 cartridge in it it stays in because it clips around it (there was an empty in it so I know that). Not a big deal, except, without a cartridge in it you have that grip just falling off which seems weird and inconvenient.
2. I got the parts diagram/list and the owner manual for it online, that helps. But I think probably I should clean the barrel and oil it with that pellet gun oil. What's the best way to clean the barrel, just push some oily rag or something thru it with a non-abrasive rod? As to the oiling, the manual tells where to do that.
3. Anything else I should do before I try it out? It looks not half bad, adjustable rear sights. I don't expect super accuracy and after all it's a pistol, but I figure for almost-free why not give it a try.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Getting them local would likely be hard anymore, Walmart and such "used to" carry them, but now everything is locked up and it's not PC to have pellet guns anymore, heck around here they don't even sell any firearm ammo anymore, my first shotgun came from Walmart back in the day...

stupid thought, is there a part number for the cylinders in the parts list (my internet is slow, so I'm not going to look right now...)? If so, they're probably like $1.15 from Crosman themselves plus $4 shipping...

Crosman pelgun oil is just air tool oil that's died red, so you can use that or non detergent 30wt oil or ATF, whatever is similar that's handy, gun oils aren't the best because of some of the detergents and stuff in them might break down the plastics.

The grip with the clip won't stay on without a CO2 cart, it "should" hold CO2 for long periods so just leaving one in isn't bad...

Cleaning the barrel, I probably wouldn't go too crazy, but what most people do is take a strip of weedeater line, melt the end so it's just big enough to go through the bore with a patch, then sharpen the other end so you can poke it through the patch, then pull that through.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
The 6-shot is 357-017 and the 10-shot is 357-110. But the 6-shot is out of production so all you can get is the 10-shot, which I guess is not a big deal. Thanks for tip on the oil and the grip. Cool deal on the homemade cleaning tool.
I attached the manual and parts list just in case you want them.

I really appreciate the help.

There are state laws here that prevent localities from passing laws against using air-powered guns in your yard, as long as you have a backstop that prevents shots from going into the neighbors yard. That is my understanding at least, as one time on ebay I saw they guy wouldn't ship to VA (air guns) and I looked up the laws and there's nothing stopping shipping to here.

That said, using one of those PCP guns at .457 which are probably pretty loud, would probably result in somebody calling the police. (I'm the the city).

I actually could get I think almost 60 ft. in my basement shooting diagonal. For a pistol that's probably about all the distance you'd want anyway.

Now we have Republican governor so unlikely laws will get stricter for any kind of gun, in fact he just signed a 'measure' to allow Sunday hunting which was forbidden before. There's shootings here practically every day but usually they are in certain parts of the city and you know they are almost always drug deal related. Maybe every day is an exaggeration, but let's say, very often. As to open carry laws, some people take it too far. I've seen on more than one occasion people (not cops) walking around the grocery store with a pistol on their belt but it's not well received and they take the chance that the police will get called on them. Got off topic there, but anyway, thanks, that's a lot of help about the pellet gun.

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Those magazines are cheaper on amazon than they would be any other way, HERE. I forgot last night but the newer version of the 357 is the Vigilante that is just a 357 with a different barrel housing with accessory rails...

Most airgun target practice is 10 meters or like 33', so not too fancy.

airgun shooting restrictions are mainly based on city ordinance, not normally state level although some states are limited for shipments...

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Thanks. Yeah that's what's good about the state law, it stops localities from passing their own laws. Yes some states are indeed limited.
I think I need some part that keeps the latch in place, it should be spring loaded or something. It doesn't stay latched well - I wouldn't want it to come open when shooting that would be weird and maybe dangerous.
If I can't get this one in shape I'll wait until I have 'spare' money and just get one.
Thanks for the link.
Yeah I could set up 33' easy in the basement. That might be the way to go for now, I try to keep peace with the neighbors and I don't particularly like cops coming over. Even though it's legal.

2011 -- "Pneumatic gun regulations. Prohibits a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits the shooting of pneumatic guns on private property, with permission of the owner of the property, if reasonable care is taken to prevent a projectile from crossing the bounds of the property. The bill also invalidates any existing local ordinances that conflict with the provisions of the act." That's the one I was talking about.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Conveniently my 357 and Vigilante are both above my desk so I just looked, it's just a piece of rubber under the latch, I've heard of it getting worn out over time, mine from '98 is still fine... From the looks of it you could shove some rubber (from an old shoe, surgical tubing, whatever) in from the front and call it good, looking at the EVP it's part 357-021 and will be their minimum charge of $1.15 last I ordered plus $4 or whatever shipping so I'd just rig something up. I would avoid taking it apart if it still seals and shoots just for good measure so the timing doesn't get messed up, I don't remember how hard that is to get right or if it gets screwed up... I think I've had mine apart...

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Thanks. Question - where to get parts - maybe not that rubber piece, since I can make, but other stuff... I found a Crosman site but it was Canadian only, can't seem to find where they sell in US.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For crosman parts just call the number (it should be on the EVP), ask for parts department unless there's a prompt option with part numbers handy and a credit card and they'll get you the parts, last I checked shipping is a flat $4. They don't have a fancy website for the parts but the parts are cheap... and last I heard only credit card. There's also some service centers around but there's none by me so I haven't paid attention...

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Duh.... THANKS. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals