• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with camper shell dimensions

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi people! Got a shell off a ranger at a junkyard sometimes ago. But discovered, the dimensions of the shell, seems to be different slightly with my '95 ranger bed.

Below in the pictures attached are two ways i have temporarily installed the shell cover, inorder to modify it to fit my bed dimensions.

Are there suggestions to make some sort of modifications, inorder to make the cover fit well, without having to replace my bed, or struggle to acquire another camper shell?

Thanks

Attachments

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
you got a short bed top. you just need to make it so people cannot take stuff out of the back? i would make a plate for across the back, behind the topper door since the window seal is missing that connects the topper to the cabin of the truck.

i would make it out of plywood or sheet aluminum and then you can close the topper door on it to keep the one side down and make some type of pins that go through it to hold it in place while the tail gate is closed

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^
And I would do the opposite, because it's going to be a pain to reach over the plate. Make the plate to fill the gap at the front. And find some plexiglass to fill the window hole. If the rules for covid have relaxed in your area there is probably lots of surplus plexiglass....
Done right you could maybe make a toolbox for the gap between the cab and topper.

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
^^^
And I would do the opposite, because it's going to be a pain to reach over the plate. Make the plate to fill the gap at the front. And find some plexiglass to fill the window hole. If the rules for covid have relaxed in your area there is probably lots of surplus plexiglass....
Done right you could maybe make a toolbox for the gap between the cab and topper.
Thanks so much. I'm considering the toolbox thing, since i fix vehicles.

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
^^^
I think something like this would fit
^^^
Take a look at this link here. I think, something like this is what i understood you meant. With the toolbox placed that way, it'd be easier to make the shell fit the way probably, you suggested.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Those type of tool box are probably too wide. That's why I suggest making your own. Measure the width and make a plywood box with a drawer on each side. I wouldnt dip down into the original box like the metal toolbox you linked.

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
I was thinking a wide plank with water/fuel/ cans that anchor from underneath.

Stumblefoot

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'ld keep looking for the right topper, but for now the box in front is probably your best bet. This set up will kill your fuel mileage, but might kinda secure your load and keep it kinda dry. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals