• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help WIth 99 Ranger Engine

SRD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello. I have a 1999 Ford XLT Ranger 3.0 Gas, 170k Miles. I recently overheated and need advice on the issue. The lower hose came loose on the way home and the engine overheated. I put the hose back on correctly, added new coolant and truck started fine so I took it around the block for a test. Literally 1 min after I started driving the check engine light came on so I took it back and parked it.

Symptons: Abrupt check engine light stating a misfire code, little oil was in the radiator water, some white smoke came out when it started back up and there are no signs of visible leaks after I repalced water and coolant I ran it in place nothihng leaked.

I am not sure of the next step and if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. I did suspect maybe a crack in engine or head issue but I persoanlly have not got that involved before.

Any advice will help.

Thanks
SRD

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What is the code? You said it was a misfire code? Does it tell you which cylinder? Concentrate on that.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I did a search for glove test... this is a copy of what RonD said...

Do the glove test
Cold engine, remove rad cap
Remove overflow hose and plug that port on rad

Put a latex glove/rubber band, or balloon, or condom over rad cap opening, so its sealed
Disable spark, unplug coil pack

Crank engine over and watch the glove
If it starts to bounce you have a blown head gasket, 100%

At that point you can remove spark plugs, 1 at a time, and crank engine over
When gloves stops bouncing last spark plug removed was from the cylinder with blown gasket
Not that it matters, both heads would need to come off because overheating has CRUSHED both head gaskets, one blew but the other won't be far behind

Anytime an engine is overheated, for any reason, head gaskets get crushed because the head metal expands too far and crushes gasket between head and block, they don't always "blow" at that time, but they are weakened, so can just be a matter of time
Head can also crack because the metal expanded too much

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
... Put a latex glove/rubber band, or balloon, or condom over rad cap opening, so its sealed
Disable spark, unplug coil pack

Crank engine over and watch the glove
If it starts to bounce you have a blown head gasket, 100%
Frickin' GENIUS way to test for (most) blown head gasket scenarios, BUT... instead of disabling SPARK, wouldn't it be better to trip your Inertial FUEL Cutoff switch, so the injectors aren't pouring fuel into non-firing cylinders?... just wondering... :unsure:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
tripping the fuel cutoff won't relieve pressure already in the lines. the injectors will still add fuel until the pressure drops off.
some engines can idle with pressure dropping to 20-25 psi.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Frickin' GENIUS way to test for (most) blown head gasket scenarios, BUT... instead of disabling SPARK, wouldn't it be better to trip your Inertial FUEL Cutoff switch, so the injectors aren't pouring fuel into non-firing cylinders?... just wondering... :unsure:
@RonD is the genius... I just spread his word.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not the inertia switch, once any inertia switch is "tripped" once it will become overly sensitive to tripping again, the "reset" button is there so a vehicle can be moved from accident scene, if its drive-able
inertia switch should be replaced once tripped, but usually isn't, lol, so going off a curb or slamming a door can trip it again

You can pull out fuel pump relay or fuel pump fuse, if "washing" cylinders is a concern
But for this type of test the cranking time is really not long enough to be a concern

For a compression test of each cylinder I would disable fuel, that's some long cranking time

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
El RonD has spoken... me furiously scribbling on post-its stuck to otherwise useless Haynes manual...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals