• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help! Truck won't start, Theft Flashing

learfxr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been reading stuff all afternoon and not getting anywhere.

I drove the truck maybe a mile this morning and then parked at home. Went out later and now it won't start. Dash lights up and the Theft light flashes.

This truck is a backup and not driven often. Just replaced battery a couple weeks ago. Still shows good voltage with a meter.

Let the Theft light flash til it flashed the diag code. It seems to be a 1-1 code, didn't find any info for that.

I'm getting no clicks, or starter relay sounds.

I only have one working key, at least it used to work

It's a 2001 4cyl 5spd

Any help would be great

The dealer told me to tow it there and they Might get to it next week. This is my backup truck and my Silverado is in my shop with the bed cut up and installing patch panels since I backed into a tree. :D

I need this Ranger up and running. I'm on call 24/7 as a biz jet mechanic. Jets are easy for me, I have access to all the schematics and tech info I need

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the theft light doesnt flash error codes, it just flashes. your key isnt communicating to the security module anymore. youll have to have the dealer repair the problem, since only they have access to the security module for key programming and the like.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At the very least, check the fuses. In 2000, they were #19 and #26, side of the dash fusebox.

addiman09

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 Liter DOHC 5spd
Transmission
Manual
ignition may have come unplugged for some weird reason??? :icon_confused::icon_confused:

mikenbecw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you ever find out what was wrong??

I have the same problem, 2002 3.0L 5spd, I took it to a locksmith who cut me a couple new chip keys and was going to program the keys/truck but said his device was unable to communicate. http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

The truck sat for 5 months with the battery disconnected before this happened.
I can get it to turn over by shorting the terminals on the starter, if I had the key on and the clutch engaged when I did this should it start? (no chip key and theft flashing)

Any ideas for some quick/somewhat easy tests?

I have a Diablo Preditor for my 08 diesel, should I be able to at least communicate if my ECU is working?

Thanks for any input.

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
if you jump the solenoid and have the key on and the tranny in nuetral it should start. thats how i used to start my 91 everyday lol.

mikenbecw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I tried it and it did not work for me.
I think I will try taking the PCM from the 2003 parts truck and try it, it has a chip key also.
I tried the Diablo Predator also but it kept saying it could not read the error codes. I tried swapping the diodes from the 2003 as well with no change.
It would be nice to be able to narrow this down instead of having to load it onto the trailer and haul to town after each change but I may have to take it to Ford soon as I am almost out of ideas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals