• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP! Tranny issue

texastintchick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1999 (Maz
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I bought my son a 1999 B2500 standard transmission truck. When I test drove it it was fine. But after I bought it and it had a chance to warm up it would no longer go into gear.

It shifts fine for about 20 minutes then if you come to a stop sign and try to shift into any gear... NO WAY. I have to turn the truck off and put it into to first gear just to get it back home and I have to drive it in first gear because it will not go into second, third, etc until it has cooled down (I have gotten it into second a couple of times by pumping the clutch about five times).

Here is the clincher - when I start it in gear it jerks forward.

I have taken it to two shops, one says the synchros are going out and the other says it just needs a clutch. I do not have the money to do both.

HELP!

Oh no fluid is leaking from the MC or the SC and the transmission is to the top with fluid.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd be doing a flush on the clutch fluid, thinking maybe it got some contamination.

Richard

texastintchick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1999 (Maz
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Funny you say that, I keep leaning toward air in the system because it is so inconsistent! I was thinking of trying to bleed the system but from what I have read it is a sucker to bleed!

texastintchick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1999 (Maz
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Flushed the clutch and tranny today! Still a little sticky in 2nd but it shifts every time! Clutch fluid looked like MUD! I am still a little nervous but it is so much better! Gonna drive it for a couple of days before I turn it over to the kid so crossing my fingers!

Thanks so much!!!

texastintchick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1999 (Maz
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, that lasted two days. I must be getting air in the hydraulic system. Replacing the master cylinder this weekend. Crossing my fingers that does it! So inconsistent... building up pressure, losing pressure? Got to be the mc!

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Chances are its the slave cylinder that needs to be replaced. Most common issue with these.

pro2am

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you are losing fluid it should be wet near where it's leaking. I almost went through the process of changing the slave on my trans, but I inspected it very closely through the inspection hole and it was very dry. I traced the line back up to the master, and eventually to the inside of the truck where I found the master was leaking out of the seal where the push rod is located. After replacing the master, and bleeding it per the video "sticky" on this forum, I have a perfect clutch hydraulic system now.

Lesson learned...inspect the whole system carefully before tearing into it. Everyone says "it's the slave", and because the slave seems to be the most common failure point it really might be, just be sure it really is before going through all that trouble.

Last edited:

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
dont touch the master. its your slave. also, the issue with second gear is a syncro. it only goes into second if you shift it slow? syncro. leaking fluid on all these truck is 9 times out of 10 slave.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I have seen ALOT of Ranger slave cylinders that leak internally but don't show it. Remember air is thinner than brake fluid. Usually they pull enough air in to cause a problem and then when you bleed it out you're fine for a few days until it happens all over again.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I have seen ALOT of Ranger slave cylinders that leak internally but don't show it. Remember air is thinner than brake fluid. Usually they pull enough air in to cause a problem and then when you bleed it out you're fine for a few days until it happens all over again.
+1 on this. I had mine leak internally and show No visible fluid loss at all. Just because you cant see the fluid doesn't mean it isn't leaking.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
what was ford thinking with the internal slave cylinder............... just don't have alot of issues with external ones and when you do ...... 10 min to replace and bleed.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure what they were thinking but they aren't the only ones using an internal slave now. Their idea was to "Protect it from the outside elements by placing it inside the bellhousing" well, at least when the outside elements ruined it I could replace it in a half hour. Now when it destroys itsself it takes a day.

texastintchick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1999 (Maz
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I did inspect the slave and it was not leaking. But I never thought of an internal leak....

Replaced MC over the weekend. Seems fine but it seemed fine after bleeding the clutch and tranny!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals