• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TK5 interlock plunger ('86) (Update- part found, see attachments)

nryan9444

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the process of overhauling my 1986 TK5 on the B2 and it's been a real trial getting parts. I'm putting it back together and at some point lost one of the shift rail interlock plungers. I've ordered a few different ones on EBAY and they've all been wrong. Does anyone have an idea of the part number? I'm desperate at this point!
EEF2F5F2-F2BA-497C-A55C-8EFCEE6BE6AE_1_101_o.jpeg

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Is the OD on the pin a standard size? You may have to get some rod and make them yourself. Whatever you do , don't leave them out. That's what happened to my Bronco II before I got it.

I bought it with a bad transmission. I tore it down and found the front main shaft gear missing 3 teeth and the front gear on the cluster gear assembly missing 3 teeth. As I got into it, I found those interlock pins totally missing. I am thinking the transmission accidentally got into two gears at once while driving and sheared those teeth off.

nryan9444

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Interesting! Definitely waiting till I find one to reassemble- but the rod idea isn’t bad! Thank you for chiming in, great brainstorm

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here's a place that might sell something you can work with. Here are drill rods that are good metal that can be hardened after you make what you need.

nryan9444

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I got some rod. May have to make it myself as you suggested. I really can't believe I can't find any info on this stupid thing! Such a tiny piece has halted all my progress.

nryan9444

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Update:
I don't like when people solve their problem and don't return to leave a record for the next poor sap lol

I finally found a parts list online.
https://docplayer.net/143013151-1980-89-section-70-b-refer-to-the-transmission-identification-chart-starting-on-page-3-to-find-the-parts-list.html
From here I was able to match up the case marking with the proper parts list and found the number for the pin (hopefully).

I've attached the n-z parts list for the TK5 just in case the link is dead someday. If you need one of the other ones hopefully the link is working or you can reach out to me if I'm alive.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals