• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help! Throwing P0446 code after tank overfill on 2009 2.3L

chetvaldes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello.
It all seem to start immediately after accidentally overfilling the fuel tank on my 2009 Ranger XL 2.3L. I'd say the next day the CEL came on. It showed P0446 when I used my scan tool. After reading on the forums what could have happened, I figured I'd saturated my charcoal canister and it wasn't venting properly. I drove it for weeks hoping it would dry itself out, but the CEL stayed on, even after clearing the code. But then it was time to get my smog test so I decided to take off the cannister and see what it looked like and see if could blow it out. Surprisingly, it wasn't clogged, and I could blow through it easily by mouth. I tested the vent solenoid while I had it off, and it seemed to seal well when energized, and stayed open when not, so that seemed ok. All of the tubes and hoses looked very good, so I put it all back together and looked carefully at the rest of the evap system and wiring- again, it all looked very good. I'm guessing the CEL comes on every time I start the engine is because that's when it does its test cycle- opening the purge valve and closing the vent solenoid and seeing if the system is holding a vacuum. I checked the filler cap, and it seemed ok when I tested it using my mouth (saw this on a youtube video). I also saw a video where a person was checking for vacuum at the purge valve during startup- when I tried this I got nothing- it didn't seem to opening. I took a chance and ordered a new one without bench testing the old one. When I put the new one on, of course it didn't change anything, same CEL with every engine startup after clearing the code. I tried running the scan tool in live data mode to look at the fuel tank pressure, and it didn't seem to change, so now I'm thinking that the fuel tank pressure sensor was somehow damaged during the overfill, even though it seems unlikely it would be that frail to be damaged so easily. I tried looking up the part online to see how expensive it is, but strangely I couldn't find it listed anywhere, as if this model doesn't use a discrete sensor, and my local auto parts store has no idea. So my questions to the knowledgeable here are:
1. Could a defective FTP sensor cause this P0446 code? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
2. Where is the FTP sensor locate?
3. What should I do next?
4. Why did this happen after an overfill? Could it just be an unlucky coincidence?
Any suggestions or testing tips greatly appreciated!

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
start with link above and read definition of the code. then you might need to smoke the evap / fuel tank to find any leaks . get wiring diagram and check wirin. for starters

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals