• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help quick 2.3l alternator

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know this is a wrong section, but I need some help quick and figure it'll get seen quicker here.

1985 Ranger 2.3 alternator bolt spacing what is it? That is the mounting bolts. 7 inch or 8.125 inch?

1983-1991 2.0L and 2.3L should all be the same.

Might get to go junkyard hunting in the morning, looking for an alternator going to upgrade to 3G. I don't have my bracket for the engine yet or I'd go out and measure it myself. Have one on the way, but it looks like it'll be next week before it arrives, and I don't know when the next chance I'll have to go hunting is.

Last edited:

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
hmmm..........why would you want to purchase a used alternator & one going back that far? There's no guarantee how long anything electrical that old will last, in my opinion you're better off getting a new one or an over the counter rebuilt item.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I would say get anew alternator, but new parts suck nowadays. Either get the used one rebuilt, or get a quality new one.

I wouldnt worry about the bolt spacing too much, as long as its in the ballpark, washers can space it in or out a bit, as long as nothing is too short...plus I think there should be enough room behind the bracket for the bolt to stick past the threads a bit.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not worried about bolt length I need bolt spacing. Center to Center distance.

Even if I buy new/reman I'm still going to need that measurement to match it up.

As for why buy used. Most everything new/reman I've found locally is at least twice as much before core, than the used is with core. I don't even have a core to turn in, which makes it worse.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I had a moment of clarity, or maybe a sudden stroke of not quite genius, after my last post. I didn't want a stock 85 Alternator, doesn't mean a stock alternator doesn't have the info I needed. Stopped by the autoparts store after work and measured a stock alternator. For future refrence bolt spacing on an 85 Ranger 2.3 alternator is 7 inches.

With that I got a junk yard alternator for less than the price of a core charge. One I got ended up being from a 1997 Mustang 3.8L. May or not be good. Had it tested twice, one said bad the other said kinda good. I may pull the regulator and brushes off the 3G in my F-100 (8.125" spacing) and see how it works in this one. I wanted to put an alternator with load response control (LRC) on the F-100 but I couldn't get one at the time. LRC is built into the regulator and somehow reduces/delays load on the engine when voltage draw increases. Apparently it was intended for weaker engines when things like A/C or E-fans kitck on, but it seems to have the effect of preventing belt slipage on v-belt systems. I had to go dual belt on the F-100 to keep it from slipping, I'd rather be able to run one belt and have that extra seeve on the crank for when I add A/C.

If the regulator brings back the used alternator, it's a cheap fix and killing two birds with one stone. If it does not I'll use the bad alternator to hold a belt while putting truck put back together and use it as a core once my wallet recouperates from other recent expenses.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
If the regulator brings back the used alternator, it's a cheap fix and killing two birds with one stone. If it does not I'll use the bad alternator to hold a belt while putting truck put back together and use it as a core once my wallet recouperates from other recent expenses.
I've been in the position in the past when the alternators regulator failed (75,000 miles) , installed a new regulator pack, cured the immediate issue but that process doesn't cure the worn slip rings. Even tho you've had the unit tested you can't see how much of the slip rings are still there. One can pull out the regulator to get a look inside but wear & tear can't be avoided, once their gone their gone, a rebuild would be in order.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Honestly if I get any time out of the alternator it will be worth it. I'm hoping this engine won't be in the truck more than about 2 years and it won't be a daily or going on long trips in that time.

I'm not against doing a whole rebuild either. It's something I've considered trying before, but never a good chance or reason. This could be both, since I don't need to be in a rush to get it put back together. Also I think I might have 2 or 3 other 3G alternators I could possibly cannablize for parts if one of them has better slip rings. 2000 Ranger parts truck, 1998 Explorer V8 donor, and possibly a 2002 taurus if those are still 3G. All are the wrong mounting style, but same case size and amperage should be the same for the Ranger and Explorer at least.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals