• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help Please?

Southernfarmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
When I start my '85 up it has a small "tick" which gets worse when you give it gas, when idling after a few mins gets loud. There is oil slung all on the right side of my motor and on the air hoses, coolant hoses and everything in the vicinity, afraid to drive it was wondering if anybody could help me

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Your going to have to clean it up fill with oil and watch for the leak, theres not much to leak on the right side as compared to the driverside, oil pan gasket, breather hose cracked or off the leak could also be from the front and blowing back from fan and air traveling thru thye front its the noise witch is of concern, if it was on the left side could be several things that are leaking oil, the noise you will have to listen for it could be any thing from bad wrist pin to rod bearigs to lifter noise, its not good so I wouldnt worry about the gas gauge at this point, how many miles?

Southernfarmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
The odometer says 60,000 but I think its actually 160,000

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
A 1985 showing 60k could be 360k as easily as 160k. My old '91 showed 19k+...it was 319+...That tick just means it's still running baby!!!

Southernfarmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Not this tick this is a serious tick

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is it smoking out the crankcase vent? Dipstick seated correctly?

In its final days my 2.8 was fond of blowing the dipstick out about half an inch and spraying the exhaust manifold with oil. Excessive blowby was pressurizing the crankcase, only fix was replace or rebuild.

Southernfarmer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
But my dipstick is on the driver side, my transmission dipstick is on the passenger

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Are you sure its engine oil not possibly power steering fluid being flung over there by the fan? its extremely hard to track down oil leaks. My 84 B2 leaked oil everywhere, and on a budget I'm slowly getting it fixed, but originally my oil pan was leaking, the oil filter housing was leaking (which is on the passenger side which my be where your leak is), rear main seal, and front crankshaft seal. Wash it all down and start checking.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Does your tick get quiet after the engine warms up?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to my world...been dealing with this on every 2.3 and 2.0 I've had in the truck...one of each, actually...

If this just started to happen, change out the PCV to see if it gets better...could be just a plugged or non-functioning PCV that is allowing the pressure to build up in the crankcase...and check the valve cover vent by removing the hose and watch for white vapour...sure sign of blow-by...

Not exactly the end of the engine...mine ticks like crazy...knocks a bit from time to time, and has blown enough oil on the highway and dripped enough on the driveway...

But the engine is still running...sometimes remarkably well...other times like three of the cylinders are non-existent...

If it is blow-by, I'd seriously recommend finding a replacement or rebuild the one you have...you might try some of that Restore or similar product to help reduce the amount of oil you loose through spray if rebuild/replace are not options currently, but oil is way more expensive than gas...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals