• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help please!Slow steady walk through of rebuilding a 1996-1997 4.0 with cams

rupton1001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Xlt
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking into rebuilding a 4.0 v6 as a little project first off to see if i even have it in me to do it second off my ranger is coming up on 500k miles and i would like to have something ready and fresh to drop in when it goes. I want to do comp cams (215/224?) all new gaskets timing chains ext. i would like to have it practically brand new if possible. Any and all info would really be appreciated i plan on documenting the entire project to help others if all goes well.

What is all needed? (parts list would be very appreciated)
Links for 4.0 v6 rebuild kits
what heads are good? links to them
what cams do you suggest
What pushrods lifters ext?
if i put aftermarket cams what all needs to be shaved/ changed to fit them?
And finally how do i put it all together :)

All info is appreciated we all have to learn somewhere ive replaced my shocks, coils, alternator, belt tensioner , idler pulley , tons of evap stuff all from here just not fully understanding the technically side of the motor i have no history with mechanics or anything just a hobby i picked up in highschool ( graduated last year) still debating if this is what i want to do with my life so this project means a bit
so please and thank you if there are other posts just post the link and ill slowly start editing this with updated info?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It would be very difficult to lead a beginner through a complete engine rebuild through a internet board. I suggest you buy a book, that is how I first got started long ago.

The first engine I rebuilt was a small block chevy 350 and I bought the book "How to rebuild your smallblock chevy".

Next was a Volkswagon engine, I bought the "How to keep your volkswagon alive" book.

Next was a Ford 302. Bought the book "How to rebuild your small block Ford" book.

Next engine was a Ford 351C. Bought the book on Ford engines that had that engine and the 351m/400 in it, and a lot of the 302 and 350 things I learned applied to that engine also.

Then it was a Buick 3.8. I used what I learned from the other engines and what internet tips I could find.

Another chev vortec

Then I went through a 2.9 Ford v6. Used internet tips plus a lot fo what I learned from the other engines applied.

Here's a link to rebuilding a 4.0 v6, but as you can see it gives just highlites and gotchas for that engine, not how to rebuild it. https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/rebuilding-the-ford-4-0l-pushrod-v6/

I did a quick search and there is not much out there for the Ford v6. I suggest you buy the Ford small block book, and then use the internet for any little differences. The How to rebuild your small block Ford will give you the info you need to actually do the basic measuring, cleaning, and rebuild.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals