• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help pick boat size

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Gf and I have gotten bit by one of the most dangerous bugs known to man-the boat bug:icon_twisted: we can't afford a dedicated tow rig and neither wants to give up our commuter pocket rockets so that leaves MR. B4000 to do double duty as wheeler/boat hauler. its a 4L ohv with 4.56 gears and a lockright/spartan F/R . I am not crazy enough to pull 20ft but 15ft is too small for puget sound. i was thinking like a 17-19 ft. i/o cuddy . i can reach the sound about 4-5 miles from my house but that is 25 miles or more south of the fun seattle boating (lk wa.,alki,ballard) what is it like towing with 33-12.50x15 in a short bed. i have my CDL from otr trucking so pulling a trailer is nothing new just want as much input as possible. thanks as always!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How about an air boat so it can help push? :icon_idea:

How much would a 17-19' I/O weigh? I would think they would be getting some pretty good heft to them at that point.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
if you use a 4 wheel top trailer or a center axle trailer you only have to worry about general towing capacity, not weight as much

PGK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX$
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Play boat or work/fish/hunt boat? If you want a user boat, hard to beat the Lowe Jon & Roughneck series. 1648 with a 40-60hp jet or 50-70prop, your choice, would probably be the ticket.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking at your gear to tire ratio your set up is about equivalent to the factory 4x4 tow package. Dad used to pull a 25 foot 5th wheel camper with his 4wd '02 Ranger 4.0L. Granted that was mostly fairly level ground, but he went a lot further than 25 miles. He did get into the mountains some with that combo and it worked ok, just wasn't very fast going up the mountain.

If as mentioned above if you go with a tandem axle trailer that will that will help, but I'd also look at one that has trailer brakes. Those 33s already put more strain on the factory brakes, adding the weight of the boat might make it dangerous. With trailer brakes it'll pretty much be a matter of if your truck can get it rolling. I'd also recommend installing a larger transmission cooler if you have an automatic. As for how the combo will handle with your truck being a SWB, I can't say.

Play boat or work/fish/hunt boat?
i can reach the sound about 4-5 miles from my house but that is 25 miles or more south of the fun seattle boating (lk wa.,alki,ballard) what is it like towing with 33-12.50x15 in a short bed.
Sounds to me like he's looking for something to play with. He also mentioned a cuddy which if I'm not mistaken is a cabin boat.

Last edited:

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My brother towed my 17' Bayliner with his '94 Toyota truck. My Bayliner weighed 1800lbs at a scale. And his Toyota had a lawn mower for an engine...a 22re.

I wouldn't bother with a tandem axle trailer. They are heavier and the tires scrub. If you even want to move the trailer by hand forget it.

The weight of the boat depends on many things. Engine size, outdrive, trailer, cuddy cabin, open bow, aluminum or fiberglass. I'd guess in the 2000lb range. Its nothing your ranger couldn't handle.

This (was) my brothers truck and I had my 300lb jet ski in the bed, my boat full of wood and camping gear, and over 30 gallons of gas in the boat. It was very loaded but we still made it. I'm not sure why we took his Toyota because we both have full size Dodge diesels.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure why we took his Toyota because we both have full size Dodge diesels.
Because that tiny boat would look ridiculous behind a Dodge diesel, obviously.

Boats aren't very heavy and they are pointed so the wind won't beat up your power like a boxy camper does. I'd think a 19' cuddy wouldn't be a problem. Here's the spec sheet from a new Bayliner 19'. Not too bad weight-wise. Add 150# for fuel and you'll probably be around 3,600# ready for the water. Well within the abilities of your Ranger.

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company55400/276183_f.pdf

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wouldn't bother with a tandem axle trailer. They are heavier and the tires scrub. If you even want to move the trailer by hand forget it.
It'd probably be fine on a single axle, just want to make sure the trailer w/ boat is properly balanced to keep the tongue weight down. I'd still want trailer brakes with your 33s, that's a heavy tire and is putting enough stress on the brakes alone.

Rotagotideas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Boat

We got a 18ft SeaRay that we use often in the summer. Fiberglass hull, with all our gear loaded in, full fuel tank & trailer it weighs in somewhere between 2500 and 3000lbs. When the fuel tank is full, you are not lifting the tongue of the trailer by yourself :icon_twisted: . we use a vehicle that is rated for 7000lbs max towing with weight distributing hitch. 5000lbs conventional.
other posters have made valid points about the trailer. I say that if the boat weighs over 2000lbs it should have a tandem axle trailer with brakes. Emaphasis on the brakes for your area.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is all super helpful ,I am thinking about LT265/75R16 in an 8pr to pick up a little gear ratio and floatation mudders on boat ramps may not be the best idea.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
plus you have 4wd to help pull up the boat ramp! lol.

let me tell you now... boating can easily cost more than wheeling.... lol

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
B.O.A.T......Bust..Out...Another...Thousand!!! planning on spliting initial cost with GF , then she pays ins. and its kept at her house but we take turns buying gas and gas buyer is captain for the day

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
planning on spliting initial cost with GF , then she pays ins. and its kept at her house but we take turns buying gas and gas buyer is captain for the day

Hope that works out for ya ..............

a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into .........

as will said. Boats are not heavy and your brakes can be upgraded.... Even a 20 footer would be fine.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What boat are you looking at?

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
well my girlfriends ranger 87 with 2.9 towed my boat a 21 or 22 foot spectrum fish and ski boat weighs in at 2500 or more last weighd it with smaller tank but the ranger pulled judt fine and sat level when towing even tho the truck was level before so dont worry about towing a 20 foot boat with that 4.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals