• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP ! O2 sensor problem?

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
8"electric, 2.3, 4.0-OHV, 4.0-OHV
My credo
They say it can't be done, so I did it. Again
My 97 4.0 2WD Ranger munched the five speed manual so I bought a five speed from a 2002 Ranger and hoping the heavier trans would last longer.
Had issues getting the clutch master bled. Finally got it done with a large syringe and surgical tubing. Now the truck stumbles BAD and I cannot get past 20 mph on level ground. It runs just fine until it gets to around 20 mph then just cuts power off and on again. The speedometer is not working and I found one upstream O2 sensor unplugged with nothing to plug it into.
It has about 360,000 km (225,000 miles) but looks, runs (ran), and drives like it is nearly new. I bought it a year ago and can only surmise that it was either insanely maintained or has a dash panel from a higher mileage truck (not likely).
Checked all the usual things and other than some soft plug wires on one side, everything seems good.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Feel around the bell housing/engine mating, not uncommon for upstream O2 sensor wires to end up inside the bell housing and shorted out :) when installing transmissions

Check Fuse #3(15amp) in engine fuse box, its the O2 sensor heater fuse, if blown then for sure a short in one of the O2 sensor wires

Reads like dirty fuel filter or low fuel pressure, for why it stumbles when fuel demand goes up
O2 sensor is not the cause of this

The 2002 5 speed doesn't have the correct Speed sensor(VSS), it uses OSS instead, this is why speedometer doesn't work
You will need to get a speedometer interface to convert speed signal for use with speedometer, computer and Cruise
Like the SGI-5E, $85, seen here: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/prd126.htm

Ford speedometer needs 8,000ppm(pulse per miles), rear axle ABS sensor runs about 20,000-30,000ppm, OSS 15,000ppm, you can use either as the IN signal for an interface, then calibrate it for 8,000ppm OUT
You can use the old VSS wires near old transmissions speedo connection for the OUT, these wires are connected to speedo, computer and cruise already
You can use the rear axle ABS sensor for the IN, or the OSS on the 2002 trans

Last edited:

Braindead

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 85, 94, 97
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
8"electric, 2.3, 4.0-OHV, 4.0-OHV
My credo
They say it can't be done, so I did it. Again
Fuel filter is on the short list of possible causes. All this complexity for seemingly no good reason is getting frustrating, and I know a lot of it is probably out of necessity, but I am a self-unemployed disabled single parent with a very tight budget and I am getting tired with Ford's engineering antics. Change for progress is one thing. It is generally good, but change for the sake of change is not progress. A couple of examples off the top of my head; the F150 wheel bolt pattern until 1996 was a pattern used by Ford since around 1920, and they changed to an oddball size used nowhere else I am aware of, or to SEVEN bolt wheels ! Or my Lincoln Mark 8's, another oddball bolt pattern. A more frustrating endeavor was when they did mock ups of heads for the Windsor based engines to use the modular engine's valvetrain to see how many would step up to say they would be interested in buying them, they didn't tell anyone ! I could go on for hours, but I am sure everyone here has similar issues with Ford parts and pieces.
Sorry about venting here. Rather inappropriate, really.
But there is an upside ! I finally have my first real "performance" Ford engine since the 427 low riser I bought back in the early 80s, I bought a Barra ! Probably going into the Ford Sierra (Merkur XR4Ti) body shell I have sitting around.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Most of the oddball wheel patterns Ford has used were the result of a half-hearted attempt at changing everything over to being metric. The seven bolt F-150 wheels were for the 7700 package only, which had HD axles.

But yes, Ford's design department generally needs a good kick in the head.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I be checking your Fuel Injectors Or check the Fuel relay under your fuse box check fuel pressure But check your injectors you might have a few that are DEAD fuel injectors don't last forever 200,000

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals