• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help needed with front axle and diff disassembly

BernardBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I am currently restoring my Bronco II '88. I'm trying to take the front axle and diff apart due to the fact that 4wd doesn't work and movement of steering causes strange noises. When I tried to take it apart I couldn't get past the removal of the spindle, it seems to be stuck. Do you have any suggestions on how to dismantle it completely and maybe share where can I find the parts required for reassembly? Thanks!

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is a C-clip that holds it in, there is a thread or article somewhere on this site explaining how to remove it and how to replace it with a spring. Requires removing the diff andf "banjo" housing. That is the axle shaft, the spindle is what you removed to get at the axle shaft.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bpb's your uncle :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There is a C-clip that holds it in, there is a thread or article somewhere on this site explaining how to remove it and how to replace it with a spring. Requires removing the diff andf "banjo" housing. That is the axle shaft, the spindle is what you removed to get at the axle shaft.
This is not accurate. The C clip you are referring to is on the passenger side and there would be no spring in there from the factory. This person's pictures indicate that the driver's side is the area in question.

You are missing the universal joint and both axles shafts are junk. Normally you can just pull both shafts out of that hole in the steering knuckle (what you referred to as the spindle, I think.) but since the universal joint is gone and the shafts are damaged, you may have to use a grinder to make them fit. Don't worry about damaging them, they are trash at this point. For what it's worth, the "spindle" is already removed in your pictures... it was the round part that you would have removed in order to see that big hole in the knuckle.

I am not sure where to suggest looking for parts. I cannot imagine that those trucks are common in your part of the world, do any local junkyards have one (or a 1983-89 Ranger) that you could salvage some parts from? eBay maybe? They inner and outer shafts that you will need to fix this are fairly common in the USA but I don't know the logistics of getting them to you.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You also need to remove the spindle from the ball joints(replace these) to get the axles out

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
The driver side axle shaft will pull straight out of the differential. They can be difficult but a good pry bar is your friend. In the event of a failure they sometimes twist at the splines making extraction difficult.
The passenger side has three shafts. The outer two will separate from the inner one but you will have to remove the clamps at the rubber boot on the slip joint. To get the last inner shaft out you have to remove the differential. Push the axle in and remove a C clip then the axle will come out of the differential
Parts may be difficult. I’ve got a few sets out in the barn but you way way way over there. Good luck fren.
Edit: If you need further information hit me back. Like I said I’ve got a couple of them in the barn I’m sure I could mock up a video to demo for you.

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
This is not accurate. The C clip you are referring to is on the passenger side and there would be no spring in there from the factory. This person's pictures indicate that the driver's side is the area in question.

You are missing the universal joint and both axles shafts are junk. Normally you can just pull both shafts out of that hole in the steering knuckle (what you referred to as the spindle, I think.) but since the universal joint is gone and the shafts are damaged, you may have to use a grinder to make them fit. Don't worry about damaging them, they are trash at this point. For what it's worth, the "spindle" is already removed in your pictures... it was the round part that you would have removed in order to see that big hole in the knuckle.

I am not sure where to suggest looking for parts. I cannot imagine that those trucks are common in your part of the world, do any local junkyards have one (or a 1983-89 Ranger) that you could salvage some parts from? eBay maybe? They inner and outer shafts that you will need to fix this are fairly common in the USA but I don't know the logistics of getting them to you.
This.

Alternatively you could remove the entire knuckle instead of cutting and beating on the axle shafts to get them out through the hole, but they are indeed trashed. If you plan to replace the ball joints, the knuckle has to come off anyway.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Great instructional vid. Thanks.
@Jim Oaks

BernardBronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Finally found something useful for all the old parts laying around.

Thank you so much! You are a true mechanic this video was really helpful

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
When you take the differential off the beam, drill a small hole from the inside of the housing into the lowest bolt hole. That way you can use it to drain the oil later without taking it all the way apart again.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> This is not accurate.
> there would be no spring in there from the factory.

"explaining how to remove it and how to replace it with a spring."

REPLACE

It was accurate.

As to the original poster, in the best of times getting a replacement shaft would have been iffy. Here in the USA, even brake boosters are out of stock with long delays, having to be ordered from the "factory". It is one reason I decided to upgrade my B2 to F-350 brakes, the parts are still available on the shelf or the next day.

I would suggest you keep your shafts, make exact measurements, and have the ends replaced with some easily resourced local UJs, even if it means using something such as a CVJ from a Subaru or something. I think I used Jeep or FSB ones in the past (20 years ago). When modifying destroyed shafts, what I have done is weld on small plates over the cap holes so the cap can't pop through since milling the ends to retain the UJ was out of the question at the time. Most large truck shops can balance driveshafts and axle shafts, that is where I used to get mine done when I lived in a snowy state and used to drive at speed in snowy and icy weather and did not want vibrations.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals