• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help needed, is my transmission dead

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Highly doubt you will be able to get it far enough back. Transmissions in our trucks are a tight fit. Glad to see that you probably figured out the problem though!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I hate to be the pessimist, but I also don't think you'll have the room, without dropping the transmission.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
HF has a cheap jack that will get you through it although I'm not certain the current price. If you are parked in dirt get you a piece of plywood to roll it on under there. I keep a 4x8 sheet of ground treated to use any time I need to have the jack involved, but a half that size would likely get the job done just for pulling it back a bit

Ah yeah, dropping the transmission also includes the drive shaft and exhaust, also the transfer case if you have that

Chicago77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
HF has a cheap jack that will get you through it although I'm not certain the current price. If you are parked in dirt get you a piece of plywood to roll it on under there. I keep a 4x8 sheet of ground treated to use any time I need to have the jack involved, but a half that size would likely get the job done just for pulling it back a bit

Ah yeah, dropping the transmission also includes the drive shaft and exhaust, also the transfer case if you have that

Damn, I really wanted to avoid that, not looking forward to dumping all the fluid and truing to get the thing aligned. I have a normal jack and a piece of platemetal I was planning to use. I at least have a small garage with a mostly level floor.

Should I also be jacking the motor under the oil pan to take some weight off?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No, the transmission jack has a large cradle on top, and it has a belt/strap to help hold it in place.
Unless you plan to flip it there should be no large loss of oil/fluid

The engine and transmission will be entirely disconnected from each other, unless it's only enough to reposition the plate

The engine can lean back a bit much, what do you mean by a normal jack?

Dayum, I just went back and listened to you turning it over, you shouldn't do that with an engine you wish to save
Have you inspected the flex plate?

Last edited:

Chicago77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
No, the transmission jack has a large cradle on top, and it has a belt/strap to help hold it in place.
Unless you plan to flip it there should be no large loss of oil/fluid

The engine and transmission will be entirely disconnected from each other, unless it's only enough to reposition the plate

The engine can lean back a bit much, what do you mean by a normal jack?

Dayum, I just went back and listened to you turning it over, you shouldn't do that with an engine you wish to save
Have you inspected the flex plate?
Yeah, its definitley the flex plate. You can see its sheared through the starter whole.

I took that video when I was first messing with it right next to the highway. I didnt realize till after looking at it that nothing was cranking, untill I looked at it. Originally, I thought it ran out of fuel and was air in the fuel line.

I have 3 ton shop/floor jack. I also have a steal plate I can attach to it that about 2 feet by 9 inches. Figured I would strap the transmission to that or use a motorcycle jack. The $100 harbor freight transmission jacks dont look wonderful.

I think I will attempt to just pull it back, then attempt to pull it without removing the transfercase (this drops fluid everywhere), and then likely give up and pull it the 'correct' way.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mine is a standard transmission but can't the automatic be pulled without losing the oil?
The transfer case should too eh?

Chicago77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Mine is a standard transmission but can't the automatic be pulled without losing the oil?
The transfer case should too eh?
If you pull the transfercase the transmision driains. If you keep in on than it will not loose oil.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you pull the transfercase the transmision driains. If you keep in on than it will not loose oil.
Mine doesn't. Due to unknowingly having it in gear I installed and dropped it 3 times by myself, and later with some help dropped it 3 more times and installed it 4, it never lost a drop that I was aware of, and I had filled it first time in

I wouldn't recommend doing them together anyway due to, on mine anyhow, it has a crossmember going in to support it and also that supports the TC and drive shaft

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals