• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help narrowing D44

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
hey guys.. i have a d44 here i want to narrow for my ranger

I know i have to cut 6" out of the passenger side, but where do i cut? by the knuckle or the diff?
and for axle shafts, can i just get a set of early bronco inner shaft? and while im at it will early bronco shafts fit for the outters too? i doubt ill need them but mine doesnt have any shafts so while im getting a EB inner shaft i might as well get the same outter shafts if they will fit

any and all advice is greatly appreciated! i have the stock rad arms with the axle so ill be using them too
thanks

RumpRangerSTX

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would not waste my time with stock EB D44 shafts.
You can use 3 out of 4 from a fullsize D44 and the U-joints are bigger. The short inner needs about 1/2 inch cut off the splines and you can buy the bigger U-joint long inner shaft from JBG.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...760x-u-jo.html
i think u need 72 to 79 f150 full size bronco and if u find 2 sets let me know i need them i broke my eb 44 short side with little ass 33's

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thanks. so there is 4 shafts total? i thought there would just be the one on the drivers side and then just one long inner one on the passenger side and then the outter one.

RumpRangerSTX

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks. so there is 4 shafts total? i thought there would just be the one on the drivers side and then just one long inner one on the passenger side and then the outter one.
the driver inner cut a half a inch off it and use the outer
the pass inner u throw away and order the new one and use the outer

so u need the driver inner and the 2 outers

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
why do i have to cut the drivers inner? i only plan on cutting the passengers side

RumpRangerSTX

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why do i have to cut the drivers inner? i only plan on cutting the passengers side
full size 44 axle shaft is a half inch longer then the eb axle shaft

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
but i want to leave the drivers side like it is, i dont need a EB shaft on the drivers side

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
You asked for advice and help.
You got it.
If you don't want to do something, don't.
Quit arguing with those that answer. When you ask for advice and then argue with or whine about that advice, you sound like a petulant child.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
ok? im just stating that BrayD helped me out a bit and never mentioned anything about the drivers side, i was trying to ask rumpranger why i would need to mess with the drivers side.. if you dont have any advice dont bother posting

RumpRangerSTX

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
read what i put a full size 44 driver inner axle shaft is about a half a inch long then a eb 44 so to make it fit u have to cut it

p.s i am done arguing with u remeber u argue with my post about my post about needing the axle shafts sorry but i done u need to do alot of more research before u even try to do anything

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
no i appreciate your help really i just wasnt understanding it at first but thanks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
read what i put a full size 44 driver inner axle shaft is about a half a inch long then a eb 44 so to make it fit u have to cut it

p.s i am done arguing with u remeber u argue with my post about my post about needing the axle shafts sorry but i done u need to do alot of more research before u even try to do anything
ya but i think he is using a full size d44 housing:icon_confused: and only cutting down the long side so if this is true he will not need to cut the short side inner:icon_thumby:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
ya but i think he is using a full size d44 housing:icon_confused: and only cutting down the long side so if this is true he will not need to cut the short side inner:icon_thumby:
yea thats what i was thinking

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
As I've read, you cut the pass. tube 6 inches and the axle gets cut 6 inches and re-splined (or you just get a new one made to the specs you need).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals