• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help me outfit my 2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II

newports454

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought this from a dealer with 150k miles. Only work that has been done to it to was done by the dealer presale:

- Undercoat to prevent any rust
- new rear drive shaft

I have some ideas on what I want to do to it but would love feedback on my choices and anything else that you pros might add to the list. Both on the accessories side to make the thing look sleek, but especially on the performance side. I want this thing lasting me another 100k+ miles. Here are my thoughts:

Wheels: American Racing AR172 Baja
Tires: General Grabber A/TX
Lift: 2-3"
Radio: Sony XAVAX1000 Car Play
Truck bed: LineX
Tune: SCT Xcalibrater3
Efan: **ANY RECOMMENDATIONS**
Cold air intake: **ANY RECOMMENDATIONS**
UD pullys: **ANY RECOMMENDATIONS**

If you have any favorites for light bars, camper shells, tool boxes or winches, open to hear about those as well!

Appreciate you all.

Attachments

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The truck already has a cold air intake from the factory.

What your referring to is more than likely a short ram intake, which draws hot air from under the hood.. reducing performance in all situations other than high rpm foot-to-floor action. Don't waste your money here.

I would probably skip over the tuner too.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think those trucks look great with the factory wheels and BFG AT's... but Generals are a good tire too.

I don't think a tune will do much. You already have a cold air intake, don't waste your money on that. The factory fan and pulley setup is also just fine... no sense fixing something that's not broke.

Would recommend doing the timing chain tensioners, dump the trans fluid and replace the pan with one that has a drain plug (if it doesn't have one already) then change the fluid several times over the next few thousand miles to get fresh fluid throughout. You can also get shift kits for them... I would do that far before even thinking about a tune.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
No way I would do a torsion key lift on that.

I would twist the torsion bar a little and put 33x10.50x15's on those Alcoa's you already have. Add a set of fresh Bilstein's all around and just replace any suspension part that needs replacing and call the suspension good.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Nice looking rig! I am always a bit suspect of any dealer that applies undercoating on a used vehicle unless they are covering something up. You might want to check carefully around the shackles and frame for any corrosion buildup the undercoating might be hiding. I had a vehicle (Saab) from Pacifica absolutely collapse onto it self due corrosion just sitting in the driveway. Your looks to be in very good condition though. As stated previously, change those hydraulic tensioners unless you absolutely know their history.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Nice truck! I don't have much to add to what these guys have said. Drive it. Get to know it. Read the forums here and check out our tech articles section. All that will give you ideas. Take your time figuring out how you want to use the truck and saving up money. Then make a plan to modify it to do what you need and follow through on your plan. It can be a work in progress. Many trucks are. Having a plan to follow and waiting until you have the money to do something right will get you there.

Rushing into it and using cheap parts or cheap technology will just waste your time and money because you won't be happy. Then you'll have to redo things you did wrong the first time.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
There is a lot of good advice already posted here.

I have a K&N CAI on my truck. I got it on special and just could not pass it up. I truthfully don't think it will make a large difference, other than the noise.

Skip the underdrive pulleys, and the electric fan. I have never run hot enough to need it. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, there are better places to spend money.

I also have a Diablosport Trinity tuner that I got about ten years back. It came with several tunes on it based on the octane fuel you will use. I only used the 87 Octane tune, but I found the difference was in how the transmission shifted after that. It was a firmer, crisper shift. It would downshift immediately when I put my foot down, instead of hanging up for a split second.

If you wanted to do a lift, you would pretty much have to go with a lift kit. It will get you 4 inches, and will certainly ride better than cranking the bars all the way up. This is where I would recommend spending the money first. It may be $1000 +, but it will be well worth it.

You mentioned the AR172 Baja's. If you do decide to go that route, you can sell those Alcoa's for quite a bit of money. They are a popular upgrade for those of us who did not have them equipped.

Check underneath that truck real good for rust. The bed crossmembers, the radiator core support, all over underneath.

I look forward to your progress.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
It's natural to want to jump in and 'make it your own', most of us do that to our vehicles. As others have said, take your time, think things thru, don't make any alteration that can't be undone, save original parts. If & when you do decide to move on to another truck this one will be most valuable as close to stock as possible, then that buyer can begin to 'make it their own'.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Honestly... you really bought the most capable Ranger Ford ever sold.

I'm not saying don't hook it up the way you want but what you bought is a really nice and very capable truck as it sits.

Consider that as you move forward.

You want to take it from Ranger to RANGER.... check out some of the bumper offerings from the aftermarket. Personally... my search would start and end at this place. These folks are great to work with and make some nice stuff.

Ford Ranger - Ford Bronco II Archives - Affordable Offroad

newports454

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
I think those trucks look great with the factory wheels and BFG AT's... but Generals are a good tire too.

I don't think a tune will do much. You already have a cold air intake, don't waste your money on that. The factory fan and pulley setup is also just fine... no sense fixing something that's not broke.

Would recommend doing the timing chain tensioners, dump the trans fluid and replace the pan with one that has a drain plug (if it doesn't have one already) then change the fluid several times over the next few thousand miles to get fresh fluid throughout. You can also get shift kits for them... I would do that far before even thinking about a tune.
I like the BFG AT's as well. Although I have just read the General's are a little quieter on pavement.

And great call on the pan replacement!

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Either the Volvo fan or the Taurus 2-speed units will work well on the truck. I have used both. Follow the instructions on the tech page here on TRS.

I would not waste money on underdrive pulleys either, the only noticeable thing is that your voltage will be too low at idle so the lights will dim and the audio may not work.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Honestly, the best thing I did to my FX4 was the tuner. You need to do some research though. Not all tuners are alike and some do nothing for you.
You can put 33-10.5" tire on with very little modification. If you go 12.5" wide, you will need to make more modifications. Power wise, the 4.10 gears are too tall. The 4.56 gears makes a big difference in performance when going to 33" tires.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
You can also go with a 32" tire and keep the 4.10 gears. I don't think that would be too tall. They would also be good if you are not going to lift it more than a torsion twist.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
09fx4guy is correct, with my MT 32" Degan's these size tires work without any difference with my stock 4:10 gearing. Keep those Alcoas. You can restore them with some sanding and clear coat. Or consider Method wheels. Nice find that level II. Question; have you had it off road yet? I powered out of a hole a few times way overloaded with a few very large tree trunks in 4wd low & had no tire spin and a bunch of respect !- What did you pay for this truck??
- Doug

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals