• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help. Loss of power top speed 55mph.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
test the vacuum under load and at idle, air meter for proper function, intake for air leaks, timing, rail pressure at speed and temperature sender for the eec.

without a high high idle complaint its hard to see the intake leaking but its one of those things with blown out insulators....that and burned valves. with no popping complaint those seem unlikely. but between the tps and maf you can have load issues.

i cant believe you gutted the cat.:icon_confused: i mean take the fawkers off and drive it.....see what it does....based on those results and how easy it i to see thru....determines whether you want to gut it....and when you gut it you need to tune it. the o2 sensors will never work right again when you cool off the exhaust that much. so its compounding the problems even if it was plugged.

k&n filter in the right hands i a great tool for building performance, in the average guys hands is a potential for disaster.

this is probably a case of the k&n fawking you...... you boogered up the air meter....and the truck trying to deal with that limited out and burned up a few cylinders.......judging by the spark plug report.

Last edited:

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well when I drove it today I could pretty easily reach 80mph and sustain it in 5th gear, but it took about 1 mile to accelerate 5 mph in 5th. So something that I did definitely helped it out, but still not much acceleration in 5th. It has no problem accelerating 1st - 4th. I'm starting to believe that the bigger tires (31" and stock was 235 or 28") are part of it. It's like the engine wants to go, but just doesn't have enough umph to go any faster. My buddy that's a mechanic told me they were plugged. Once I punched them out it helped a little and you couldn't see any light when you looked down through them. Once I get it all fixed up I'll put some new cats and a muffler on it. I need to change the timing cover gasket and do some interior/body work. Where's a good place / price to buy a direct fit cat? It's getting closer to being done and I noticed a definate improvment. Perhaps 4:10 gears would give it what it needs? It's got 3:73 now. I really don't care about mpg. It never got better than 13-14 mpg anyway. Thanks yall for your help.

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I say 80, but the spedometer said an out 75. According to the spedo Calc on here it says it'll read 8mph faster so it'd actually go about 83 mph sustained in 5th, just no acceleration and pinned to the floor. That's plenty fast, but it's the point of why won't it accelerate much in 5th is what I'm trying to figure out.

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also, where can I buy a gear for the cable after the tire change to correct the spedo?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
if you go to a 410 gear you wont need to correct the speedo....it wont be pefect but it will read closer with the 31.

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That may still be a possibility but switching gears would be alot more expensive than a spedo gear. Can I just take the ring and pinion that is 410 and put them in or would I need all new axles? How hard is it to set the backlash?

DennisH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Where can I buy the right spedometer gear at?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I read this because my friend's truck (that I have listed for sale on here) started to act strange lately...no power...but, anyway...just wanted to add...

5th gear is an OD gear...meaning it is not meant to be used for acceleration...not sure if you ever were able to go much faster, but if you shift to 4th it should get there faster.

Otherwise...I will keep reading to learn something...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
Alright so this thread is 4 years old. I read through it and it just sounded like a case of oversized tires on a 3.0 that already has limited power and was a complete waste of my time (no offense, just frustrated) ??‍♂ Am I mistaken? No I don’t think so. So MY problem is a ranger I’m working on for this widow (she has no cars that are running) and I thought I’d be a good guy and fix up her 2001 3.0 since I’ve replaced and brought back to life my 2000 3.0 that was run almost to the ground. Well I thought her loss of power was from the giant rip in her air intake hose, her clutch fan being f*cken mangled when some mechanic did her water pump, and her cylinder 1 not firing. Well long story short after taking the truck apart and fixing it up I end up replacing the air intake hose, tensioner pulley, clutch fan, fan blade, water pump, and spark plug wire for cylinder one. Pulled codes and there’s no more mis fire and the part are brand new on what was replaced. as Dennis said, the idle is ROUGH in park and neutral. Well I finally took for a drive (because the truck would barely stay on as it was before I worked on it) and it was not go over 50mph. Keep in mind this truck is a 4 speed automatic like my 2000 automatic and I’m assuming Dennis and them were talking about their 5 speed manuals? so I’m just confused at what’s not letting this truck go past 50. No mis fire, no vacuum leaks, fixed what I thought was the problem and it’s still problematic. Please help

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
did you put it in drive? will it run in 3rd gear?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
like i stated previously....pop that cat loose and if it has full balls then deal with the cat.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals