• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help, i have "corrupted my operating system"

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
You changed your tune. And no, you DO NOT have to login to a laptop - built by you or an OEM. This is where you demonstrate the most ignorance. Did you know you can boot straight to the desktop by bypassing a password requirement and tweaking the task bar settings? I don't advise a 'no-password' login for the built-in Admin account but you can for other users. It's clearly a move you DO NOT make unless you have other security measures in place or you're absolutely vulnerable to attack running 'that' UserID with Admin credentials (e.g. User Account Control). There are attack surfaces and attack vectors and those must be covered with other methods/implementations.

You are clearly out of your league on this topic. I'll ignore this thread going forward. I wish the OP the best of luck.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Lets all take a deep breath here. Then exhale slowly....

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
im trying to download a copy of windows 8 OS to a usb drive following this link
but how do i find out if i have a 32 or 64bit system?

thanks for the help so far, ive learned a bunch of different stuff about microsoft OS recently... i really havent tried to learn anything new about windows since I used XP as a kid. every update i have become less and less familiar with the OS and its functions

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
There are various ways... If you look at the root of the C drive, you'll see two Program Files folders on a 64 bit installation (one is 'Program Files x86'). If you only see one, it's a 32 bit version.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
someone elsewhere wrote:
"It's almost definitely 64 bit. If it's not, it just won't install."
ima just try it, cause i currently am not able to open folders on the laptop

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
it is more than likely 64 bit. if you have any of the original stickers still on the laptop, ti will likely say it is64 bit. grab that and make your bootable usb with it.

if it is somehow 32 bit, it will either squawk at you or you or not work altogether.

and if you got windows 8.1 that means the computer is older than 4 years old if not 5 or 6... and it is a laptop... Seriously think of all the time and aggravation you have put into this computer and think about dropping 400 bucks on a new laptop. Bought the wife a new Lenovo from Costco in June for 400. fairly nice laptop once you remove the bloatware from it. And it came with the latest version of Windows 10, and it is Windows 11 ready (it even downloaded it last week, but I am going to wait a while before I commit to *that* insanity...)

Another option if you need this one up and running now and/ or can't afford a 400 hit to the wallet... I highly recommend Ubuntu Linux. it is easy to install and for the most part updating is simple. worst case scenario for installing or updating you may have to go to Ubuntu's website and search for syntax to updater download and install. they have a great bunch of users there

AJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
I am having trouble making a " windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File)"
I downloaded the file from the windows website Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File)
and the next instructions was to run the file, but instead when i try to access the file i downloaded, instead it opens a folder. i tried clicking the 'autorun' file and it just opened a text box
what do i do?

I hAve tried to find some instructional how-tos on how to make the 'boot disc' but they all show how to do it from a computer already running windows 8.1, not the file from the website

halp
pic attached:

Attachments

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
1. i bought a $5 16gig usb drive from walmart and i tried to move that 4.02gig file i downloaded onto the drive and it says the file is too big ??whats going on??

okay, i am trying to navigAte my mistakes:
2. the download page said to download the file to the destination folder ..or something along those lines. i suppose i need to download the file straight to the usb drive i want to use as a boot disc eh?
downloAd page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

3. im rereading that link on the windows 8 boot up download page
i think it is saying that not only must i download the windows 8 file linked on that page, but i must also download the "windows-usb-dvd-download-tool."
and when i go to the "windows-usb-dvd-download-tool" page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool
i then get a link for "Windows USB/DVD Download Tool " which takes me to this Error 404 page not found!!!

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
This is why I use PowerISO. It is capable of writing an ISO file to the USB drive and make it bootable. Copying and Pasting does not work when making a bootable USB/DVD drive/disk.

IF your USB drive is formatted as a Fat32 format then the maximum file size is 4 GB which is to small for the Windows ISO file.

You can not just take the file and simply copy and paste it to a USB drive. Only certain programs can write an ISO file and none come with Windows and why I purchased the program.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm pretty sure that PC would be in a scrap heap by now if it were mine... no... I'm positive.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i would put ubuntu on it.

thats what i do when windows crashes out on laptops at the house and i don't have a boot disc (because i always forget to make one when i get a new laptop). ubuntu is so high speed now most people do not know they are not on windows. i did both of my kids laptops when they did something to them and the kids were fine on ubuntu.

or, if you are really bored you can run all kinds of other operating systems. damn small linux is one i had tried once too but since i don't know too much about doing computer stuff, i always end up back at ubuntu.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
so apparently i need some sort of 'ISO' (optical disc image?) writing program to make this usb + file into a bootable disk. apparently that must be what the 'windows usb/dvd downloAD tool is for
i then get a link for "Windows USB/DVD Download Tool " which takes me to this Error 404 page not found!!!
someone mentioned i could download a program named 'rufus' that will create the boot disc for me.

..oh and yeah, someone walked me formatiing the 'fat32' type drive into 'nfts' (sp?) drive

I'm pretty sure that PC would be in a scrap heap by now if it were mine... no... I'm positive.
reduce reuse recycle (repair)
i think this throwaway culture of ours is harming our environment and draining our resources.
I have already learned a lot trying to repair this, so even if i dont repair it, the effort is not in vain.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You can use Rufus (https://rufus.ie/en/) or there's a tool provided by Microsoft for the same task.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
or there's a tool provided by Microsoft for the same task.
i looked on the microsoft page and the link to the 'ISO tool' is dead. :/
so i downloaded 'rufus'
ive gotten this far. i must select a file to create the iso using rufus
for the "boot selection" option do i select the whole "win8.1_English_x64" file/folder
or do i select one of the files from within that file/folder??

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Hit the 'select' button and choose the iso file you downloaded.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals