• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help, i have "corrupted my operating system"

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
"This will open a small black window, in side this window type without quotes "sfc/scannow" and press enter. This may take some time to complete"

would this operation be better in safe mode? as he stated that it locks up at 8%...

just a thought.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
"This will open a small black window, in side this window type without quotes "sfc/scannow" and press enter. This may take some time to complete"

would this operation be better in safe mode? as he stated that it locks up at 8%...

just a thought.
It would if the issue is a driver or program that is having issues but then if the problem is not there then you need to track down what driver or program is corrupt. It would tell you whether or not it is the OS or a piece of software being an issue. Safe mode only loads necessary to run OS components and stops OS elements, programs and drivers from running.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
am i gonna have to buy a second copy of windows?
or will my license be saved on the 'broken' computer that i am trying to 'refresh'
ima start looking for that windows download file. any idea where to look? ima just google "downbload windows for crashed computer" or something

***EDIT***

okay, so i tried to use my laptop to figure out what the windows key is but now it wont login so i sont know how to get to the "run program" prompt
when i start up the computer i am recieving an error
"LoginUI.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x00007FFD47FD8B03 referenced memory at 0x000000018010DF80. The memory could not be read.

Click OK to terminate the program
Click CANCEL to debug the program"
Is there a way i can access my windows user license key prior to the login screen?
if i can access "run program" somehow before windows boots up, then i can enter the following command, ya?

...and then another error popped up after that and i accidently clicked it away. ill edit/post it here when i cAn get it to show up again*

Command: wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey.
If this command returns nothing, your license is digital and I know no way of retrieving it for you outside of the original purchaser. You can see if the product key is on the bottom of your machine and legible.

Next, run the following command then go to C:\Windows\Logs\DISM. Grab dism.log and post it here. Compress it if it's large.
Command: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
***EDIT***

I was able to get to the command prompt from the troubleshoot bootup
and i typed in the command as written and recieved the response:
"x:\windows\system32>wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
ERROR:
Description = Not found"

wat do???

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
License key is digital: Last response:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If that doesn't work, research running diagnostics from the boot menu.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Since Windows 8 your license is tied to your Microsoft login credentials. This means that as windows fresh install is booting it will ask for your Microsoft user name and password. After initial setup is done it will validate your code automatically. No need for a code unless you are still using Windows 7 or older.

Go to Microsoft.com and download the proper windows version, the download is free so no need to pay. You may need a program to create the ISO file on a USB drive but If I remember correctly it gives instructions on how to make a USB drive. I paid for PowerISO but I have a reason to do so as I've made ISO's a lot in the past. Power ISO was $10 I believe.

Win 11 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11
Win 10 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Win 8.1 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
^^^ill try and download that copy of windows10 to use as a boot up, thank you.

License key is digital: Last response:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If that doesn't work, research running diagnostics from the boot menu.
I typed in
"X:\Windows\System32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servecing and Managment tool
Version: 10.0.19041.1

Error: 50

DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option

The DISM log file be found at x:\windows\logs\DISM\dism.log

x:\windows\system32>"

looks like i will have to research runnign diagnostics from the boot menu.
could you recommend somewhere for me to start my search?

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
^^^ill try and download that copy of windows10 to use as a boot up, thank you.

I typed in
"X:\Windows\System32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servecing and Managment tool
Version: 10.0.19041.1

Error: 50

DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option

The DISM log file be found at x:\windows\logs\DISM\dism.log

x:\windows\system32>"

looks like i will have to research runnign diagnostics from the boot menu.
could you recommend somewhere for me to start my search?
Windows PE??? Do you realize how back-leveled that OS is? Try the /Offline switch but I really think that's a bust. I'll go back to another post: let them send you another one and offer the one you have to the gods: Old Computers - Do NOT throw them Away!** | The Ranger Station

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
stock
I have no idea, i thought i was using windows 10, says windows 8 on the bottom
its an thin, small ASUS x202e, i like it a lot :0

12 years ago i bought a used laptop off newegg for about $150
about 2 years ago i got a laptop in a trade for a bike. that laptop lasted a little over a year and then broke, and then the 11y.o newegg laptop broke 2 weeks later.

and then ive had this laptop for about 6-9 months and then bam. crashes and dies :/

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
In your case, PE stands for pre-installation environment. You need to run that command from a safe-booted or repair command prompt. You can run it offline, as you have, but you do not have the installation media. Once you identify the existing version, you can do that using BGunner's instructions. For windows 8 and up, it should pick up the license key from BIOS, even if it is digital. Good luck.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Since Windows 8 your license is tied to your Microsoft login credentials. This means that as windows fresh install is booting it will ask for your Microsoft user name and password. After initial setup is done it will validate your code automatically. No need for a code unless you are still using Windows 7 or older.

Go to Microsoft.com and download the proper windows version, the download is free so no need to pay. You may need a program to create the ISO file on a USB drive but If I remember correctly it gives instructions on how to make a USB drive. I paid for PowerISO but I have a reason to do so as I've made ISO's a lot in the past. Power ISO was $10 I believe.

Win 11 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11
Win 10 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Win 8.1 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

@youngbuckwithapickuptruck

been meaning to get on here to post this, but Bgunner has it right. at the point where you are at, d!cking around with your existing setup is going to bring nothing but frustration.

If you have windows 10 home (probably most premade systems are set up for home) download the ISO file. get an 8 GB usb flashdrive that you don't care what is on it or go buy a new one, they are under 10 bucks. Download a utility to make the USB drive bootable. (I have used a program called Rufus in the past, will work with any o/s ISO) but Windows also has instructions on their site to create a bootable USB with whatever version of Windows that you need.

Once you create the USB drive that is bootable with your Windows on it, boot the computer up and hit F8 or F2 or whatever your computer uses to get into the BIOS immediately after turning it on. Once in the BIOS, select your boot order to USB first and save and exit. put your USB drive in and restart the computer, once it boots up select "repair" and let it do its magic, if repair does not work, install a clean copy of Windows over your existing copy but keep your files. you should be good after that, you may have to uninstall or reiinstall some apps or programs, but your documents and settings *should* be retained.

AJ

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
In your case, PE stands for pre-installation environment. You need to run that command from a safe-booted or repair command prompt. You can run it offline, as you have, but you do not have the installation media. Once you identify the existing version, you can do that using BGunner's instructions. For windows 8 and up, it should pick up the license key from BIOS, even if it is digital. Good luck.
Windows license has nothing to do with the BIOS. It is tied to your Microsoft login credentials. ( BIOS = Basic Input Output System ) The BIOS is on a PROM chip that holds only the Basic Input Output settings that is only programable through a certain procedure. Windows does not have access to the BIOS so it does not program the BIOS chip with the Windows key. Windows scans the hardware, mainly the motherboard model, upon start up to look for changes. If a motherboard model change is detected then it invalidates the windows key and requires a reinstall and/or a new key.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Windows license has nothing to do with the BIOS. It is tied to your Microsoft login credentials. ( BIOS = Basic Input Output System ) The BIOS is on a PROM chip that holds only the Basic Input Output settings that is only programable through a certain procedure. Windows does not have access to the BIOS so it does not program the BIOS chip with the Windows key. Windows scans the hardware, mainly the motherboard model, upon start up to look for changes. If a motherboard model change is detected then it invalidates the windows key and requires a reinstall and/or a new key.
Windows product keys (for OEM installations) have been embedded in BIOS for several years now. A reinstall can license itself without ever using a Microsoft account or keying in a product key.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
I'm sorry, but that's simply not correct:

"Many newer PCs that come with Windows 8 or 10 use a new method. The key for the version of Windows the PC comes with is stored in the computer’s UEFI firmware or BIOS. You don’t even need to know it–assuming you’re installing the same edition of Windows the PC came with, it should automatically activate and work without you needing to enter a key. It’ll all happen automatically." (Re: How to Find Your Lost Windows or Office Product Keys (howtogeek.com) ).

"Yes Windows 10 key is stored in the BIOS, in the event you need a restore, as long as you use the same version so either Pro or Home, it will activate automatically.
Source: https://ostoday.org/other/is-windows-product-key-stored-in-bios.html" (re: Is Windows product key stored in BIOS? (ostoday.org) )

"Or: Check this program to reveal if there’s a key embedded in the BIOS: https://neosmart.net/OemKey/" (re: where is windows key in bios - Microsoft Community)

In a different observation, my key is still stored in the registry. I just had to replace my motherboard a month ago after spilling a bottle of water on it (inspiron 5270). I quickly ripped out the HD and placed it in a docking station hoping to at least retrieve my critical files. HD checked out fine. OS is Win8.1. MB had shorted and keyboard was never the same. Unfortunately, I ran out and bought an identical laptop on ebay, just to have as a backup and it has Win 10. I hate Win 10 but it'll do in pinch.

I wanted to use my Win8 HD in the new Win10 machine. The spilled water somewhat ruined the screen on my Win8 machine and so I swapped HDs. Neither approach validated the product key. Swapped them back, and windows is activated on both machines. That experiment proofed another question I had: could I simply place my HD in another machine, boot it and have Windows activated. I knew it would scan for and find HW differences and install the appropriate drivers nut would it work. Answer was no on both occasions - 8 and 10. HW changes weren't needed. Both machines appeared identical to the OS but windows would not activate.

Moreover, you do NOT need a MSFT account. I do not have one, never had one and never will. Yet, my stuff is tight.

I'd share my background but that would just seem like I'm trying to start a pissing contest. Trust me: BIOS is one of the places it could be stored.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Attachments

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
This is only true if you have a prebuilt system and the key is installed in the UEFI Firmware /BIOS by the manufacturer. I build my own so no key installed in the BIOS/firmware. The same login that you use to log into your PC is your Microsoft account login credentials.

Your response is not a one size fits all answer as not all PC's are built by a manufacturer. Nor was mine.

"Let’s start with the simplest situation. On newer Windows 8 and 10 computers, the key isn’t stored in software where it can be wiped, or on a sticker where it could be smudged off or removed. No one can glance at your computer’s sticker to steal its product key. Instead, the key is stored in the computer’s UEFI firmware or BIOS by the manufacturer." (RE. https://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/ )

The same article you linked to. For these types of PC's they are linked to your Microsoft account. Again Windows does not have access to write to the BIOS, only a prebuilt system from a manufacturer has them there, so the key must be linked to your login credentials.

Once the system validates the OS it is then linked to the motherboard so a change in motherboard will cause issues. Prebuild systems are much more finicky where a home built system you can swap out the motherboard and have no issues validating the OS. In this scenario you can swap the motherboard with the same model and have no issues where as prebuilt with a key installed to the BIOS chip will have issues.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'm not sure what your point is here, bgunner. You stated that licensing isn't stored in BIOS. That is simply wrong for most windows installations.

If you've got helpful info to contribute, great. But you jumped into the conversation to fact check someone, but your statement was incorrect.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals