• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP! Hot rotors/hubs!

iPandaBar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Teensy Weensy
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Orthodox
I have a 1993 Ranger with manual hubs. I replaced both front calipers, brake hoses, and rotors and repacked the bearings. I have tightened the locking nuts down to spec using the steps in the service manual. I also greased the caliper slides and pins. What the heck am I missing?!?!?!?!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Does your brake pedal get higher and higher at the same time the front brakes are dragging?

On my 93 4wd the front brakes were getting hot, the back also, bypassed the rabs valve happy ever after.

My 94 had bad front hoses, did all like you did, booster and MC. bypassed the rabs also,

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How hot is hot? Brakes turn kinetic energy into thermal energy, so the brake parts, particularly the rotors, will be hot.

iPandaBar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Teensy Weensy
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Orthodox
How hot is hot? Brakes turn kinetic energy into thermal energy, so the brake parts, particularly the rotors, will be hot.
It is the hub itself where it locks and unlocks that is hot, even the rim is warm! After a five Mile drive I can still hold my hand on it, but it ain't comfy and I use to do ironwork so I'm use to touching hot metal. I couldn't fry an egg on it but it feels hotter than it should. My brakes are not dragging at all. This is the first time I've ever repacked bearings and I'm a little worried to be honest. But the hub is directly connected to the rotor so maybe it is just heat transfer. Should I take it on a longer drive and see how hot I can get them? ?

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You didn't perhaps confuse inch-lbs with foot-lbs when you tightened up the inner bearing nuts, did you?
(the inner nut that secures the bearings gets a final torque of ~15 inch-lbs (barely more than finger-tight) before the outer lock nut goes on... For the outer nut, the book says 150 foot-lbs, though many of us take 'em up to 225 ft-lbs because they sometimes do come loose from 150 ft-lbs).

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is the hub itself where it locks and unlocks that is hot, even the rim is warm! After a five Mile drive I can still hold my hand on it, but it ain't comfy and I use to do ironwork so I'm use to touching hot metal. I couldn't fry an egg on it but it feels hotter than it should. My brakes are not dragging at all. This is the first time I've ever repacked bearings and I'm a little worried to be honest. But the hub is directly connected to the rotor so maybe it is just heat transfer. Should I take it on a longer drive and see how hot I can get them? ?
No, that sounds excessive. The reason I asked is because we had a guy here some years ago in a tizzy over a 3 degree difference in the temps of this front rotors after a drive around the block and couldn't seem to grasp that the one on the outside of the turn was going to be hotter. So now I have to ask.

Junkie's suggestion would be my first thought as well, that you possibly over-tightened the bearings. I usually get them all greased up, but a big glob in the open space in the middle, then get the rotor and outer bearing up, put the first nut on finger tight, then put the wheel on without the hub lock and use the socket just with my hand to adjust the nut up until there is no play in the bearing at the wheel.

Once the play is out I make minor adjustments until the key ring goes in place, and get the lock nut on. Then I take the wheel back off, torque the locknut, and put the rest together.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
More than once someone has put the outer and inner lock nuts on backwards, [emoji56]. The old quarter-turn tight, quarter turn back used to work but if lock nuts are wrong it's really easy to make them too tight!

Also when/while you have it apart wash the grease out of your locking hubs they should not be packed with grease .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals