• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP! FA600 not fitting correctly...

red.EDDIE.4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys figured i would just introduce myself first.
im new to TRS but not the forums, i came from the Explorer forum in hopes that you guys have an answer for me. not many people there have used the skyjacker fa600 apparently and ive seen a number of people here who have it. i ordered one the other day and was stoked when it came in (my steering link angles suck)

but when i put it on i couldnt get the passengers side drag link on. it was coming in contact with the drivers side. here is a pic of what im talking about.
hopefully someone here has had the same problem. im really stumped and cant return the arm now. and if i cant make it work im out the $200...:annoyed:

thanks a bunch guys, happy trails. Tyler

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
By the plate drop bracket I'm assuming you're running a 4-6" lift.
I want to say your lift isn't sufficient enough and the steering is now lower than it would be stock.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
The passenger inner link looks bent. I don't remember mine having that much of a curve to it.

See if you can get ahold of another one or go to the local parts store and buy one temporarily and hold it up to it to verify.

Last edited:

red.EDDIE.4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want to say your lift isn't sufficient enough and the steering is now lower than it would be stock.
The passenger inner link looks bent. I don't remember mine having that much of a curve to it.

See if you can get ahold of another one or go to the local parts store and buy one temporarily and hold it up to it to verify.
i have about a 5 to a 5.5 inch lift. well if i just set it all together, my steering isnt even flat...it still has some bend upwards(about an inch or more)

and i will go to o'reillys tomorrow to see my buddy about getting another just to hold up. if infact it is bend then ill buy it. i was also going to consider just using a shop press to take the bend completly out and see what that gets me...if i jack it up too bad there is either o'reillys or LKQ self pick about 13 miles away. thanks a bunch guys for your help. :icon_cheers:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
No this can't be, as the I was in the exact same situation as him (Tuff Country 4" lift) and the SJ FA600 didnt take all the angle away from the tierods (upward angles). Plus it doesn't matter, if its lifted, you can't have ENOUGH pitman arm drop. It just can't be so, none of the after market pitman arms drop far enough. Though SJ says its for a 6" lift, its really suited better for a 4" lift, but can be used on a 6" lift to alleviate excessive tierod angles.

^----- You meant Driver's side right ? :icon_twisted: If you were referring to the passenger side (the longer side, which is called the draglink by some, then it is in fact ok, it is supposed to have that much bend in it). See pics:

And his:

And mine:

Drivers side tie rod looks bent to me.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The FA600 arm drops down 4" compared to a stock arm, so it's definitely not because the lift is too short.

I see the nut on your sector shaft is still loose...
If the arm isn't tight on the splines (meaning it's laying back closer to the axle because it's flopping around), very possible that can make it look as if the driverside tierod won't clear properly.

Agreed on a bent driverside tierod also being a possibility.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I've seen this before. You need a "matched" set of tie rods. For some reason the different tie rod manufacturers have ever so slightly different bends to the tie rods so that a LT tie rod doesn't match the bends to the other company's RT drag link.

Next time you're out at the junk yard have a close look at the steering of different years of RBV's . You'll see the differences.

red.EDDIE.4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i see...i see...
ill take a look at some when im at the salvage yard saturday.
do you think its possible to try and flatten out the passenger drag ling to make it straighter and have less of a bend. i think it would then move the bottom of the arm and the joint out further, any thoughts?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'd be skeptical of weakening it by doing that.
If it's because of what Bent Bolt mentions, much better to just get a matching rod for it (or another junkyard linkage maybe if you can find one in good shape).

red.EDDIE.4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, welp i was just at the salvage yard. and i looked at the passengers side drag links specifically. and they all looked the exact same as mine. so let me ask this, is the problem with the passengers side or drivers side drag link?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
By your pics, I would say it's the driverside tierod that's the problem (that is if your pitman arm is tight on your steering box... you didn't answer my previous post about it)

red.EDDIE.4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes, it wasnt "tight" on the steering box. i just tightened it enough to where it would stay. i dont have a puller large enough to fit on the fa600 so i didnt want to put the crank to it.
and im glad i didnt because i clearly have a problem...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Well, it's not the FA600 that's the problem, clearly it's your linkage. My guess as to why it wasn't apparent before the arm swap was because of the high amount of angle on the linkage from the too-short arm, keeping it from hitting.

red.EDDIE.4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
any suggestions on brands of stock linkage or the best place to buy? LMC truck? oreillys?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would try the Raybestos "Professional Grade" parts if you can find them... That or Spicer or Perfect Circle Professional Grade stuff. Avoid Moog though, I've seen enough issues with them I won't ever buy them again.

Basically what you're looking for is a linkage that isn't as "bent" as yours (one more like the one legoms013 posted)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals