• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help . Ecm?

Seapimp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
My problem is under my hood got soaked . Next day I drove the truck . Then noticed dash lights,speedo and all symbols were flashing crazy . Truck still ran but dash lights ect.were flashing crazy off and all shambles were going crazy . Parked it left hood open to dry . Checked all fuses ,connections ect.. turn key everything lights up but now pat sytem symbol lights up . I’ve owned the truck going on 9 yrs ( 2008 xlt ) . And I’ve never used or even knew I had pats system . Everything works but truck won’t start . Plugged diagnostic in and only thing it reads is “ no line “ .ive sprayed everything with WD -40 pulled ECM looks dry as toast . and my problem besides not being a mechanic is What does that lack of code mean ? Ford will look at it for an outrages amount of money after I have truck towed to them . Any suggestion would be helpful thanx . Was told ECM might be junk .

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unhook the battery for 60-90min, just one cable is fine, this will cause a full reset of Anti-theft system(PATS) in the dash

When you have erratic electrical voltages, i.e. the flashing dash lights, the PATS may think someone is trying to steal the truck
It does have a chip with a built in battery, so even without power it won't reset itself for an hour or so

2008 Ranger has an HEC Cluster(dash), google: Ford HEC testing

You can run system tests to see if dash is functioning properly

The water could also have shorted a system so a fuse has blown in engine fuse box, have a look

When you turn on the key the PATS light(padlock) should come on steady, and then go off, if it flashes rapidly then anti-theft is active and will not allow startup
After it flashes for about 60 seconds it should start to flash a 2 digital code number, always starts with 1, so 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 ect, this can tell you why PATS won't allow startup
And these should also come up on HEC test as Bxxx codes

Did you try to connect OBD reader to system with key off, if not try that then turn key on

And make sure CEL(check engine light) comes on with key on, that means computer(ECM/PCM) is booting up, if it doesn't check fuses in engine bay again, the PCM fuse

Last edited:

Seapimp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Thanx Josh ,I disconnected battery over night ,checked every fuse with a meter and by eye . It actually said ” no link “ not no line . I’ll try your other suggestions thank you

Seapimp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
My problem is under my hood got soaked . Next day I drove the truck . Then noticed dash lights,speedo and all symbols were flashing crazy . Truck still ran but dash lights ect.were flashing crazy off and all shambles were going crazy . Parked it left hood open to dry . Checked all fuses ,connections ect.. turn key everything lights up but now pat sytem symbol lights up . I’ve owned the truck going on 9 yrs ( 2008 xlt ) . And I’ve never used or even knew I had pats system . Everything works but truck won’t start . Plugged diagnostic in and only thing it reads is “ no line “ .ive sprayed everything with WD -40 pulled ECM looks dry as toast . and my problem besides not being a mechanic is What does that lack of code mean ? Ford will look at it for an outrages amount of money after I have truck towed to them . Any suggestion would be helpful thanx . Was told ECM might be junk .

Seapimp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Unhook the battery for 60-90min, just one cable is fine, this will cause a full reset of Anti-theft system(PATS) in the dash

When you have erratic electrical voltages, i.e. the flashing dash lights, the PATS may think someone is trying to steal the truck
It does have a chip with a built in battery, so even without power it won't reset itself for an hour or so

2008 Ranger has an HEC Cluster(dash), google: Ford HEC testing

You can run system tests to see if dash is functioning properly

The water could also have shorted a system so a fuse has blown in engine fuse box, have a look

When you turn on the key the PATS light(padlock) should come on steady, and then go off, if it flashes rapidly then anti-theft is active and will not allow startup
After it flashes for about 60 seconds it should start to flash a 2 digital code number, always starts with 1, so 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 ect, this can tell you why PATS won't allow startup
And these should also come up on HEC test as Bxxx codes

Did you try to connect OBD reader to system with key off, if not try that then turn key on

And make sure CEL(check engine light) comes on with key on, that means computer(ECM/PCM) is booting up, if it doesn't check fuses in engine bay again, the PCM fuse

Seapimp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Josh thanx for the info on the HEC test . Whatever was wet must have dried out because dash seems to be back to normal . Only thing is that pats system must have me locked out . Called locksmith who said he never heard of a short or whatever reseting or locking someone’s keys out . But for a $100 he will come try to reprogram My keys . As far as any bxxxx codes or 1-1 ect.. none of that is coming up . Debating having lock smith come or towing truck to mechanic to see what they come up with . Again thanx

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is the Theft light(padlock) FLASHING fast after turning key on?
Or does it go off?

If it goes off then its NOT a PATS issue

If it flashes fast then wait 60 second and get the code

Seapimp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
It’s Flashing fast and no codes are showing on dash just the padlock

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I believe the padlock is what flashes the codes for that system

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^^

Yes, padlock(is theft light) should flash codes after 45-60 seconds, leave key on

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals