• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help: DIY gap covers for body lift

Colton Smith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6, 6.6l v8
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I'm doin a 3" body lift and wondered what could be used to cover the gaps in the wheel wells for cheap. I was thinking thin rubber matting or something. Just not sure where I can find something like that for a fair 20-30 bucks. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Commercial vinyl baseboard. It's about 3", flexible, many different colors, and I think it's cheap enough. And no, I'm not in the flooring business, despite what my avatar name would lead you to believe. I do like both the above suggestions too.

Richard

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I've seen mining belt used to great success but its heavy. Needs to be bolted in with a back plate not just wired or plastic riveted. A complete bumper relocation and gap guard kit was less than a 100 when I did a bl last. Ill never do another.... Watch your AC hoses. Cost more to fix that then a suspension lift. Lol
If you have a manual... You'll need a shifter extension. I highly recommend making one with a 1 in swag so you don't hit the floor of the truck when you shift.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
there's all kind of things you can use, vinyl siding and plastic lawn edging are the first things that come to mind.

oksleeper

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 bangers for now
Transmission
Manual
I have used mudflaps and vinyl baseboard both with great success and like alwaysfloored stated baseboard comes in lots of colors

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
You could use plexiglass mirror and everyone would think you have a hillbilly show truck :icon_twisted:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I'm doin a 3" body lift and wondered what could be used to cover the gaps in the wheel wells for cheap. I was thinking thin rubber matting or something. Just not sure where I can find something like that for a fair 20-30 bucks. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
I bought a new set of PA gap guards on Ebay last month for a buddy's sons birthday gift. He has a 2000 Ranger XLT. I paid $40 including shipping. Try Ebay or Craigslist, Bro. You get the mounting kit with the PA gap guards. I have them on my 99 Ranger and they are really nice and fit perfect.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't really like the looks of gap guards... it just makes it look as though you are ashamed you have a bodylift. They look like exactly what they are, an attempt to hide a gap, so instead of looking at a gap you are looking at a bandaid.

But if you insist a farm tire shop would probably give you old tractor inner tubes, get ones that haven't had fluid (calcium cloride/water solution) in them though. :icon_thumby:

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
I used a chunk of an old rubber truck bed mat. Once they get muddy no one will even notice. The fronts I found the stock splash guard to be adequate but got a set of gap guards free so I put them on anyways. The junkyard is your friend.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals