• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help! cant isolate squealing/chirping noise

scguru92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
99 4.0 5 speed ranger
I am getting this intermittant squeal. Most of the time it is when I come off the throttle to shift gears, but then again, sometimes just at idle also. I've replaced idler pulley, tensioner assembly, tensioner pulley, serpentine belt.
The water pump pulley has no play in it and isnt leaking, so I dont think thats it either. Nothing has made it even a little bit better and Im tired of blowing $$$. Anyone have any input???
Thanks

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Throw out bearing????

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that would be my thought as well, does it stop when you depress the clutch?

scguru92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It makes no difference if the clutch is engaged or disengaged. It squeals at idle, during shifting, after shifting. No real specific time, and it sure sounds like its coming from under the hood.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How about the filter housing - is it a moaning sound - my filter housing will make a strange noise occassionally when it's getting dirty.

The only other thing I know that squeaks on an off is bearings, you haven't mentioned the water pump bearing - if it's peeing a little water it will get on the belts when you decelerate and cause the belt to squeak.

Seen your wife's cat lately????

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Remove your belt and run it. Does the squeal stop? If yes, it's one of your accessories. Spin 'em all by hand. Also check the condition of the fan hub. It's rare, but viscous hubs can develop a squeal.

If no, it's something in your drivetrain.

scguru92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, got it narrowed down to the AC compressor or the power steering pump. Anyone know what belt part # I would use to bypass the AC? I'd rather do this first so I know what part it is for sure making the noise.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it's the A/C compressor, it ought to matter if it's engaged or not. If it's the power steering pump, it ought to matter if you're turning hard (especially at low speed) or not.

And how old is your belt, and in what condition is it? Perhaps it just needs replacement.

scguru92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it's the A/C compressor, it ought to matter if it's engaged or not. If it's the power steering pump, it ought to matter if you're turning hard (especially at low speed) or not.

And how old is your belt, and in what condition is it? Perhaps it just needs replacement.
I tried turning the AC on & the defroster so the compressor would cycle. It makes no difference if the cluth is engaged or not for the noise. Same with the steering. I cant make it make the noise, regardless of turning the wheel or not. Seems that most of the time when the noise happens, it is while going straight. & the belt was just replaced with a Ford belt (old one wasnt bad, but a couple years old)
Dunno what else to do, this was my last resort to isolate the problem. Although, I'm getting tired of spending $$ on parts that dont fix the problem.

Thanks for the responses thus far....keep em coming

scguru92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well its either the water pump or the fan clutch. How would I check the fan clutch? I'm not that familiar with it. I'm used to electric fans.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, the simple thing is to remove the fan clutch. Run the engine cold for no more than a minute or so. Failing water pumps often dribble out the weep hole. Look for corrosion tracks out of it; you don't always see drops.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It could also be your cam position sensor synchronizer......They will make a
squeal noise when they get ready to go out.....

scguru92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, I put the stethoscope on the water pump snout and thats where the noise was the loudest. So I figured it was that or possibly the fan clutch.

JaBradt85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Does this squeeling occur to anyone when it is damp and chilly out? It usually goes away after a 3 minute ride on the highway except when it is damp like this morning. When I first start it its a squeeling /chirping and a little clicking that goes away pretty quick. I usually start it 5 minutes before I leave for work also. The mechanic I brought it to says he could get it to make the noise and the belt and tensionor were fine. Any suggestions truck is listed in the signiture.

JaBradt85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Taken care of, alternator bearing and belt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals