• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help buying a ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have been looking for a truck on craigslist for months, everytime I find what seems to be a good deal I either get no response or it falls through. Right now I am looking at an 88 ford ranger that is about 3 hours away from me. The truck looks to be in pretty good shape but the guy is asking $2,500 for it. I talked to him and told him I did some looking around and it seems like that would usually go for around $1,500 maybe. He said I should not trust KBB and that his bottom line is $2000.I said I am not looking at KBB, I am going off a forum I read on therangerstation.com and an estimate from driverside.com. Am I wrong or is he, what should the truck really go for? Here is a link to the ad
http://dothan.craigslist.org/cto/4633474914.html
If that doesnt work for some reason, it is an 88,manual transmission,looks pretty good, and says no problems except that it has no a/c compressor. Thank you in advance for any replies

Attachments

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i bought a 94 with 4.0 and 5 speed for 500$, i probably wouldnt pay that much for it, i see 91-94 explorers for under a grand all the time. there are currently a few rangers around me with a 4.0 5 speed, m/t tires and lift for about 3 grand.

i think you could get a better deal on a 25 year old truck.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All depends on condition. But on that old of a truck, that's a bit much. Even if it is mint.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it actually is that nice of a Ranger (no dents or fading/peeling paint) then I think $2k is fair. In my area you can buy a lot of these trucks in the $1k price range but typically beat up.

Although 3 hours is a long drive to find out its a pile of crap.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Too late, he sold it.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I actually ended up getting it, kinda weird but a couple weeks after this post I responded to what I thought was a different one in the same area and ended up getting it for $1500. A couple weeks after buying it I looked at these pictures again and it's definitely the same truck. I don't know how that happened but it's mine now and I love it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad