• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help! Abs issue

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I kind of figured it would also lock the diff as well thinking nothing else would be able to move 🤦🏻

I’m going to go slightly off topic for a second but I forgot to mention... I’ve found that pretty much every fluid and consumable item on this truck (with the exception of the motor oil and oil filter) was what came from the factory 22 years ago. That includes coolant, diff fluid, fuel filter, air filter, and probably the trans fluid as well. The fuel filter was so clogged and rusted it fell apart when I tried to remove it from the clip and the air filter was so clogged and discolored the engine would almost stall if you didn’t give it gas. I flushed out my coolant at least 15-20 times over the course of two days and it still wasn’t even remotely clean. I plan on flushing it again come spring. Anyway, what else should I flush/replace? Truck has 145,xxx on it so whatever you think of it’s probably safe to assume it’s factory. (I did replace some of the front end components and most of the rubber, brakes, alternator, and some other stuff, but I’d have to look at the records).

its far past midnight and I’ve been up since 4 am so I apologize if none of this makes sense. Again, I appreciate all the help you guys have given me. Thank you

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just found out my girlfriend set the parking brake as the truck is on ramps. Could that have locked it in place? I can see how it could but I can also see how it wouldn’t.
I believe it could... if the diff was preloaded and the brake was set... it would hold the preload.

I would put it on jack stands with the tires free to rotate... this will ensure there is no preload on the carrier at all.

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
UPDATE: there are a few chunks of plastic in the oil that would approximately add up to the size of the chunk that broke off so I don’t think I’ll need to pull the axles today. The owner of the garage I was using needs my truck out today as “the smell is making her sick” so I have to just bite the bullet on this and just hope to god nothing breaks on the 2.5 mile journey back home

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Gear oil does stink to high heaven and that is with my reduced sense of smell. I can't say I blame her. Just take it as easy as you can during the drive.

As far as the thread drift, it's your thread. You can take it where ever you want. It does help you and others down the road if you can keep it on topic but, if you have been paying attention, thread drift is kind of the way of life around here....

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I understand that now. Also I just pulled both axles and everything looks fine so I cleaned it up and put it all back together. However there does seem to be some added resistance somewhere. Could that just be the gear oil being cold? Or do I have something else to worry about

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also... Thank you adsm08, Uncle Gump, and the rest of you that helped me out here. Honestly had absolutely no idea what I was doing or what was going on so thanks for helping me through everything. As of now the abs works as it should and I have a speedometer again. Just took a 25 mile test trip to make sure everything works fine and it’s flawless.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
thread drift is kind of the way of life around here....
It's gotten better, it used to be the goal. Answer the original question, then see how far and how fast we could get off topic.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
There's many approaches to Abs issues, I'd say cut out or down on the beer, and do a few crunches or sit ups every day would be a good start.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals