• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP! 93 Ranger Owner Here....

Seigar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello! My 93 Ranger's engine went out, but I have found one from a 99 Ranger...will it be compatible?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Hello! My 93 Ranger's engine went out, but I have found one from a 99 Ranger...will it be compatible?
What engine is in your 93? And which one is in the 99?

Seigar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The 93 is a v-6 and the 99 is a 4-cylinder!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Seigar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ugh! I just hate to see the Ranger go, I need to find an engine.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The longer answer is;

To change from the 6 cylinder to the 4 cylinder, is a pretty huge undertaking. You will most likely need to swap the transmissions also since the bellhousing bolt patterns are different between many if them. Then there is wiring. Your 93 uses an older computer technology OBD1 and the 99 will use newer OBD2 technology. The 99 probably also has PATS, a security system requiring keys that are mated to the ECU. The instrument clusters are also very different. I'm pretty sure thev99 uses the newer microprocessor controlled gage cluster. So wiring and interfaces to sensors and the ecu are very different.

So, can it be done? Sure. But you are better off in hundreds of ways by finding an engine that is much more similar to what you have now, preferably the same size 6 cylinder (4.0liter or 3.0liter?) From a 93, 94, 95 or 96 model year. I might be wrong about 96. I'm not sure of the exact time the ecus changed to OBD2.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
The longer answer is;

To change from the 6 cylinder to the 4 cylinder, is a pretty huge undertaking. You will most likely need to swap the transmissions also since the bellhousing bolt patterns are different between many if them. Then there is wiring. Your 93 uses an older computer technology OBD1 and the 99 will use newer OBD2 technology. The 99 probably also has PATS, a security system requiring keys that are mated to the ECU. The instrument clusters are also very different. I'm pretty sure thev99 uses the newer microprocessor controlled gage cluster. So wiring and interfaces to sensors and the ecu are very different.

So, can it be done? Sure. But you are better off in hundreds of ways by finding an engine that is much more similar to what you have now, preferably the same size 6 cylinder (4.0liter or 3.0liter?) From a 93, 94, 95 or 96 model year. I might be wrong about 96. I'm not sure of the exact time the ecus changed to OBD2.
Actually the 93 and 94 3.0's use a distributor and the 95 and 96's use the DIS (Distributorless Ignition System) so you need swap some things around between the motors. The motors are not just a simple bolt in but the items are not hard to swap items. Just something to watch for if you have the 3.0L.

Some 95's 3.0's got the OBD2 system but am unsure if all got them or if it was a half year type of thing. Since the swap to DIS happened that year it is more likely that all got the OBD2 ECU's.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
for engine swap ease and reliability.... get the same size/ displacement/ type, and only go 2 or 3 years either side of the one it is replacing, ideally if you can get the same year do so. some catches to that statement: 95 and 96 is when the Ranger went to OBD2 diagnostic system, so you want an engine that matches your computer type (OBD2 vs EEC) so for your case you would want no newer than a 94 3.0 if possible. also Ford in their infinite wisdom made the bell housing pattern different for each size engine, with the exception of the 2.9 and 4.0 which share the same bell housing pattern. so a 4.0 will not bolt up to a 3.0 transmission. There are also 2 different 4.0's which share the same bell housing but are completely different. pre 2001 the 4.0 was the OHV version, and after 2001 it is a SOHC version.

as for crossing the OBD2/ EEC barrier, this can be done but you will need to swap out all of the intake and probably valve covers and oil pan and any sensors from your old engine. As mentioned the 3.0 went to DIS in 95 as well... so that is a consideration, I am not sure if the newer engines can be adapted to run a distributor.

Also as mentioned post 1999 PATS was introduced, and your truck again would need a non PATS engine which would involve all of the sensors/ intake etc to be reused from your vehicle, and if you have another 1999 you still need to use your existing PATS system instead of the donor truck...

Hope this all helps, but the TL;DR version, get a 91-94 3.0 and prepare to swap intakes to make it work.

AJ

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
The 95 and newer 3.0 engine uses a sensor mounted to a lower half of a distributor so they can be easily swapped between DIS and distributor ignition. This Lower half is called a cam sensor that allows the OBD2 style ecu know where the cam is positioned along with there being a crank shaft sensor mounted to the timing cover.

These are the major sensor differences between 94 and 95 3.0 engines. The timing cover can stay and so can the valve covers. The single coil bracket needs to be swapped over from 93-94 to 95 and later motor. This uses an upper intake bolt with a threaded shaft to hold the older one down so you may have to swap these bolts only over. Torque intake bolts to 7 ft lbs. Oil pan is the same so no need to mess with that unless you are getting a 3.0 out of say a Ford Taurus/ Mercury Sable then intakes and oil pans need swapping.

For ease of install and keep down extra cost of gaskets and such stick to 94-96. In 94 the cam and lifters got changed to rollers so added H.P. although not a big jump. Info on this is located in the tech section if you want to do some light reading up on it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals