• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Help 89 2.3 lose of power idles fine

Tperry94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Alright so I replaced the fuel filter spark plugs wires egr valve exhaust manifold and the thing was going fine until I took it on a 2 hour trip it doesn't stall out when idling but now that I'm driving around town it wants to die at low rpms but if I stomp on the gas and get it up around 2 rpms it jumps back to life until I shift gear then it starts to die
My code reader said I have a evap leak and I need a o2 sensor but I been driving on my old o2 sensor with it saying that a while any ideas would greatly be appreciated

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There's no evap sensor that I can remember, what codes was it? I know the TPS setting can play heck with the IAC, back in the day if I touched the throttle too quick after starting up it would want to stall at idle but if I just started it up, let it flare then return to idle it behaved properly... I would probably go through setting the idle speed which takes unplugging the IAC (you did plug it back in after doing the EGR, right?) and see if it will idle, it should idle but low (if you have a tach, I believe it's supposed to be 500rpm) then plug the IAC back in and it should idle higher, if it doesn't then there's an issue with the IAC. Oh, if it won't idle adjust the throttle stop screw until it does idle.

Aside from IAC issues, if the oxygen sensor is bad it could be adding a bunch of fuel which would make the idle a little rough.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals