• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP! 1994 2.3l ranger stumbles on acceleration

iank1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK here's the story. 1994 Ranger 2.3l manual, 2WD no AC. the engine light has been on for some time. I tried reading the codes, but I got different codes every time and researching what I got led me nowhere. SO I replaced the air filter, fuel filter, PCV, DPFE, TPS, ICM. I Tested the fuel pump, good, tested the MAS, good, tested the crank sensor, good. NOW, the engine light is off, BUT the engine stumbles HARD on acceleration. If I feather the throttle SLOWLY it revs out to red line. IF I open it up fast it pulses like a rev limiter (WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH). I tried putting the old ICM back in and the truck runs fine but on 6 of 8 plugs and the engine light comes back on. why would a new ICM cause this? could it be the bad ICM was not responding to a faulty O2 sensor? ARG! I need the truck for work and I need it to pass smog! I think I need a hug too.... :sad:

HAPPY+RANGER+GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3 LIMA
Transmission
Manual
Did you do a hard reset on the computer? Let it sit several minutes with battery disconnected and see if still behaves same way.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi. I'm a 93 ford ranger owner. If your truck only does this when its hot then you probably have the same problem I'm having. I noticed it likes to stumble an die in traffic but rarely driving down the road. Feathering the throttle works too. Anyways. I am led to believe we both have a CPS that is going out. To know for sure check not for fuel pressure but correct injector response when it starts acting up. All you need is a test light. If you get a bad injector response it's definitely not the icm. Like you I have replaced about every electronic under the hood including the computer and it just keeps getting worse. I also replaced my timing belt which wasnt even bad but im not about to swap it again. If you replace your CPS and it does not help you may want to replace your head gasket because you may have cylinder to cylinder bleeding. Check compression first to be sure.

I hope this helps and god bless.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
By the way a CPS on its way out will test good so it is futile to test it unless your vehicle is currently having the stumbling problem

iank1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
UPDATE: I replaced the cheap aftermarket ICM with a motorcraft one from a wreck. Now the engine light went out, but smog test showed it as a gross polluter. So I went driving around and the engine light came back on. The code was 172 (lack of oxygen sensor signal/ lean bank #2) . So I've been letting it run with some of that 104 golden juice in the tank hoping to burn the CAT clean enough to pass, and lo and behold, the engine light went off. Plus the lean condition seems to have drastically improved as the exhaust is no longer eye burning. No idea if it will pass yet. We'll see.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
A dirty or un-responsive MAF will caust stumble on acceleration. Low fuel pressure or volume can also affect the injector ability to flow a bit more juice on acceleration causing stumble.
The P0172 code is from the 'downstream' O2 sensor. It is monitoring the catalytic converter efficiency, and does not 'flip' like the upstream sensor does. If it is low, either it is gone, the wires are chafed/shorted etc, or there is a problem. Lean means there are O2 molecules in the exhaust, such that they were not all consumed by the fuel, so it must be lean to have extra Oxygen .. or there is a leak adding oxygen, or the wires are as noted, etc.
tom

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
I had a diaphragm go bad in an egr valve a while back. It let enough extra air (unfiltered at that) into the sysrem to throw a lean code and the CEL but I don't recall much else for symptoms.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals